Light-Headedness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjm127, Apr 15, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Robin,
    I never said anything about commercial experience and I did say I learned this when I came to highschool. I really dont think I am acting like an expert, not in any way. I have been using this method for almost 2 years and I rarely get light headed. The OP does not have to do what I said. Just a suggestion like every post here for every topic like this.

I am not a Doctor, but what "health issues" can develop from this?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Good question. Somebody has an answer ?

codyb226 likes this.
  3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    To be honest, not much long term risk. The benefit of fainting is that you stop bearing down and start breathing again... it's a self correcting process. You do run the risk of busting some blood vessels in the whites of your eyes (dramatic, but not harmful). If you were a very young, thin adult there would be a small chance that you could drop a lung (pneumothorax) by popping a bleb (like a blister) in the top of one of the lungs. THAT would be dramatic and potentially dangerous!

4. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    I AM a young, thin (6'0, 120 pounds) adult...eek!

5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
  6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
  7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you DO pass out, and it has happened to many players... it will be at the moment that you hoped would be your crowning glory, the monster high note ending. That moment will then be broadcast the rest of your life on the internet and may earn you $10k on the funny videos show. It will be your never ending shame and the thing you hear about forever at every gig you do.

I know a guy I went to high school with, now in his 40's and a very accomplished player in a symphony orchestra. He passed out playing a high note at the end of the all region jazz band concert. 25 years later it still comes up for him now and then. Thank goodness we didn't have the internet or youtube then!

Besides the damage to your self esteem and ego, you may also smash your horn when you faint. Worse than that you may fall off the bandstand and break a limb or hit your head and get a concussion.

Even worse than that... you may fall over and smash MY shiny new Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn (that I will have someday). That could be fatal.

If you are going to pass out... aim for the trombone section.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  8. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    I dunno, jiarby, it's bad enough that the first trombonist gets an earful every time I play - it would be so cruel if, AFTER a monster high note smashing into the back of his head, I collapsed on him as well!

I was thinking about it, and I can't really think of any really good lead players whose faces get red when they scream. Can any of you guys think of any?

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    As you said, the good players dont have to stress over their high notes. They do it all the time.

10. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    Oh, not stressing over high stuff, I was just wondering if anyone can think of any players who physically get red when they play high. Obviously I don't stress over high notes, but for some reason after coming back from hurting myself I've started to physically get red in the face when I play. And I was just curious if A) that means I am technically doing something incorrectly or inefficiently which is adverse to my playing and if B) if it's NOT, I was wondering if there are any good lead players who do get red in the face when they go up there. If it's not something which is bad, I won't worry about it.