Light weight trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Dec 1, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi
    I am looking into getting a lighter trumpet the one i play is a bit heavy, any thoughts on this i heard the Schilke B range are light in weight? is the S range as light?

2. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a lot of things... I have sixty-one years of wear and tear, osteoarthritis throughout my body and most severely developing in my hands this year and I have a few trumpets. My favorite, go to horn is a twenty-five year old Yamaha 6340. I live in deathly fear that it will eventually develop a hole, rot out or generally wear out. Why the fear? In the past six months my other horns, which I do pick up occasionally so they don't feel ignored, feel so heavy compared to the lightweight Yammie that my hands hurt when I play them. I am thinking about a Schilke B1 'just in case' my Yammie develops something terminal. Once a person ages a bit comfort climbs up the importance scale over many other items once considered near and dear especially other people's opinion. So for what it's worth I really love playing the lightweight. Soon to follow on the forum are comments about them being too bright, too this or that. However about four months ago the heavyweight players on this forum pretty much agreed that the mpc was the largest controlling factor regarding tone and playability of equipment. So if you go with a lightweight any concerns about tone can be overcome with a slight change in the mpc selection (slightly deeper cup will fix most brightness issues). Oh well enough said except play some lightweights and decide for yourself. Oh yes, one more thing, i searched far and wide and had a very difficult time finding any negative comments about the B1. Have a great day.

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My A1 is a fairly light horn - lighter than my Raptor and my Yamaha, but has such a tremendous core sound, better than the heavier horns I've played. I'm a small person, and don't need to spend half my effort holding up my horn. This one is perfect for me - no compromises at all!

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    My Marcinkiewicz CG470 is light. much lighter than my Bach Strad. I suspect that any of the Claude Gordon Benge or Selmer horns would be similar in weight.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Olds Super Recording... I've never felt a lighter trumpet than this one... AND it takes such little energy to play.

6. TrumpetPlayerII

TrumpetPlayerII New Friend

Sep 18, 2013
    Denmark
    My Yamaha 8310Z is very light without getting a too "light" sound. I love it :)

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm real happy with my Schilke B6.

8. jaquine

jaquine New Friend

Sep 8, 2013
    The lightest trumpet I have ever lifted is my 1947 Olds Special. The Special got a lot heavier later, but the 1947 version is increadibly light, and is a true pro instrument in terms of build quality. This particular horn also has the biggest low end of any horn that I have ever played.

9. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hello alant,

Interesting you mentioned Schilke. What horn and what type of music are you playing now? Schilke has a different horn for every situation.

I came from a Bach Strad 180/37 that felt klunky and moved to an S32 with a B-series tuning slide. I changed the tuning slide to make it freer blowing. The 32 is lighter than the Bach, but not by much, although I think it plays much nicer. I've also got a B1 that definitely is lighter and faster. When you're looking at the Schilkes pay attention to the bells, probably more so than other horns. The S-series comes with a number 2 taper, pretty close to a 37 and the B1 has the number 1 taper, more like a 43 or a little bigger. With so many variations available, you really need to play test to see what you like.

I just acquired an Olds Super '38 that projects like a laser beam. VERY focused. The valve block is smaller, but I think the horn is still heavier than the Schilkes. The S32 is my main horn, but the B1 (Reynold Schilke's original design that he used in symphony work) is a great jazz horn!

Rick

10. jaquine

jaquine New Friend

Sep 8, 2013
    Just to get a few actual numbers going, I measured my lightweight 1947 Special on my (accurate) shop scale. It weighs 1.98 lbs. By way of comparison, my standard weight 60s Super is 2.44 lbs. I am curious what some of the other lightweight horns come in at.