Light weight trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :bash:

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    at least I didn't recommend a pocket trumpet ...

3. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Now you did it! Somebody's going to start weighing and posting their pocket trumpets!!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It seems that as a general rule, there are 3 makers who do lightweight trumpets that most all other light trumpets are compared to:

Schilke - First and foremost, the B series designed by Reynold Schilke were extensively prototyped in a scientific way before he allowed them to go into production and out the door to the customer
    Getzen - others have mentioned the Getzen Eterna and Severinsen models. I've never had the opportunity to really get my hands on one, but I've heard so many good things about them that I'd like to give one a whirl given the chance
    Yamaha - From my perspective, Yamaha lightweight horns started off as clones of Schilkes, although they have made their own innovations since then.

I know I already said it, but my take is that Schilke is the way to go. While the designs are pretty much unchanged since they were originally released, I'm of the opinion that Reynold got them right. You'll spend a bit more money on a Schilke, but after you've had it for a while, you'll know where the money went and why, and you wont' have regretted it one bit.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My pockets are light.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    alant,
    As I read through the prior posts, I didn't notice much qualification concerning whether mouthpieces were included in horn weights or not; I assume that in most cases they were not. On my old scale, weights of my Bb trumpets sans mouthpieces are: Bach Strad 180S37 - 38 ounces; Blessing Super Artist - 38 ounces; Getzen 900 Eterna Classic - 35 ounces. The Getzen is most comfortable for me, but I am an older trumpeter. The Getzen was just a little bright for my tastes until I started playing it with a Curry 3C.; now it is rapidly becoming my favorite trumpet/mouthpiece combination out of the many combinations I have tried. Try before you buy is one reliable mantra we often repeat. VB's oft proffered advice about letting the right horn find you is also valuable. There is more to a satisfactory trumpeting experience than physical weight. The lighter you go, the less dampening of the effect of various unwanted player-sourced vibrations you will experience.
    Jim

7. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    No such thing as a nice cornet.

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just weighed my '47 Super on the digital kitchen scales and it came in at 1lb 13 3/8 oz with no mouthpiece. I'm going to check the scales on the weekend because it seems way less than other horns mentioned here (for comparison, the 22B NY was 2lb 3oz). The bell on the Super is the lightest I've seen - it's like shim brass and it certainly feels lighter than any of the others - maybe that's why this baby sings?

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    An old Benge 3X or a new Kanstul Chicago (AKA 1000).

They are light, play pretty well and are inexpensive...if you must have a light weight trumpet.

10. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can some one weigh a Schilke B1 for me please?