Lightheaded

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Manny,
    Since you're always on the net... just kidding. Had a quick question for ya. I've been practicing my doubles (scales, arrpegios, etc) and have been gettin' lightheaded. This lightheaded is bad since I stand when I play, lol. It doesn't matter whether I use the mute, straw n pinwheel, or just a mpc/horn setup... Thoughts? Suggestions? I can't think of what would be causing it...

Tim

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

Remember on WWE the old sleeper hold?

Esentially, when we a) don't take in enough air and b) tighten our gut when we play weare performing the sleeperhold on ourselves by constricting the blooodflow to our brains!

It's the same as if you took a beath and then bore down hard as you could. You'd eventually feel the same lightheadedness.

What you want to have going when you play is a real easy sense that you're releasing air under the minimal amount of internal pressure you can get away with. You have the bore of the horn and the throat of the mouthpiece working against you so let's not add neck and abdominal constrictions as well.

When you go at it today, go for that rolling off a log feeling when you play. See how loud and high you can play without your body reflecting that effort. Nice big breath and loose body playing exciting phrases.

Let us know how it goes.

ML

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    oh man yes, this is awesome, exactly what I'm talking about.

About taking in the air... talk about that some, people always tell me that they notice I "tank" up. I push A LOT of air.. is it not being used properly?

About the tightening of abs... Shew "wedge"? this is bad?

I am pretty relaxed up to high g/a unless it's a hit note or a FFF or a fermati...

Let's keep going, this is interesting. In practice today as I was doin' scales/arpeggios/etc throughout the range, I focused on staying relaxed... to be honest, it felt really weird, but I played SOO much eaiser. Ok, it makes sense, BUT, how do I keep my power/etc while still staying relaxed. I can peel paint with a good sound on a low c/ highc/ or dhc, but I have to push it...

Another thing... long notes, how do you stay relaxed while holding a high g for 16 or so counts?

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Remember that Vietnam war movie where they guys in basic had to hold buckets of sand with outstretched arms? The one guy put his mind somewhere else and outlasted everyone because he remained relaxed. It's kind of like that!

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Done well Bobby's wedge concept does not pit muscle system against muscle system, creating isometric pressure. Bobby Shew plays very easy with effortless sound, he does not do that by fighting himself. Effortless effort might descibe his playing. You can hear that ease of playing in his sound, keep his sound in your head not his stomach!

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

I have no idea what the "wedge" is. I only know that bearing down while you play high and loud is one of the reasons people pass out or get light-headed when they play.

Billy, for 10,000 dollars and a trip to Cancun... what is the name of that movie and who played the drill seargent? Bonus points if you name the character of the soldier protagonist!

ML