Lightweight Bells

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kireduk., Mar 9, 2010.

1. Kireduk.

Kireduk. Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newport, MI
    I'm about to purchase a getzen trumpet that has the option of a lightweight bell. I like the feel of a lighter horn, but I also like a "darker" sound with my playing. The trumpet has the option of a heavy gold brass bell that will darken me up, but I'm not sure of how much. Of all of you who play Getzen trumpets, preferrably the lightweight bell ones, please give me some information of your experience with them.

The website says that lightweight bells will SIGNIFICANTLY brighten the tone, but make the instrument responds much quicker. (also make the bell more prone to denting)

I intend to go try one out, but I can only have one trumpet shipped to my specifications.

From what I've told you guys, what do you think I should go with?

2. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I would advise not buying either until you can hear them and how you sound on them - after all a trumpet is an important buy - its worth getting it right and spending a little more on the travel.

3. Kireduk.

Kireduk. Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newport, MI
    of course not, I'm not going to buy a horn if I sound off on it. I'm saying that people with experience playing on both or one of them would know the specs of them better.
    I really can't rely on a website that will back their product 100% no matter what.
    I need an experienced opinion, nobody can say what I like better than me.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    light bells have a couple of characteristics - regardless of who makes them.

They vibrate more easily, that makes it easier to hear yourself, with the caveat that the audience gets less.

They have more "zing" to the sound and the sound will generally distort at a lower volume than with a standard weight bell.

My experience is that gold brass does NOT darken the sound. the sound is actually more brilliant. It just does not break up as early, thus allowing you to play louder, but not hear yourself as well.

5. Kireduk.

Kireduk. Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newport, MI
    interesting, I hadn't taken that into thought.
    Thank you for the reply.

6. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    I don't have a lot of experience with buying trumpets but I have bought a lot of instruments other kinds. I see you are having trouble deciding on feel or sound.
    I have found it is easier to over come the feel of the instrument than to over come the sound. As long as the instrument is not painful in some way.
    I just bought a synthesizer and had to get rid of my old one. The new one has way better sounds but not the big fully weighted keys like the old one. I don't miss the weighted keys at all. The sound is able make the instrument feel better.
    Feel is important but sound is king.

7. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    It seems to me that you need to try both bells out to see how they sound, but not necessarily how they sound to you.

Lightweight bells will give you more feedback, and may sound brighter to you. With heavier bells, I find I have less of a feel for how the horn sounds to the audience.

I would suggest either test playing for a friend who knows trumpets, or recording yourself to get a better idea of how each really sounds.