Lincoln Portrait

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I could not necessarily listen to someone play only something basic in the staff and know how well he'd sound on, say, Trpt I of "Procession of the Nobles"; how clean, precise and accurate he would play those notes. I see what rowuk's getting at. Obviously there are those one could hear who you know don't have very well developed chops, and the reverse would be true, too. But for me, the group in the middle ground that would be arbitrary to tell just how good they are or not, that group would be larger for me than what rowuk could zero in on.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In the staff you hear and see everything that is important. Yes, the way that the player breathes, the quality of the attack, the fluidity of tone are closely related in the first, second and third octave. That C-major scale tells me if I want to hear more or if I've heard enough.

Yes, with a scale, I know if their tonguing in the "upper" register is ok too.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think Rowuk has a great point about realising a player's fundamentals through a simple scale (the most important things). However, things such as double/triple tonguing? Lip slurs/trills? Even when using correct air and technique, certain things take practise, and aren't evident in a simple C major scale. These also would be more important at a higher level of performance, or to determine the difference between individuals of close standing.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,
    you haven't been there and have no idea. When players have their playing "organized", you get it all. If I like what I hear, I always get truthful answers to questions too. Only the "losers" exaggerate.

Most of the time, I can even figure out how they play (in every octave) from their posting here at TrumpetMaster. When a player has genuinely accomplished something, the way that they ask questions is much different. Those that merely believe what they read (or thought they read), talk trash. This is especially evident with embouchure and mouthpiece discussions. I think that I even have your playing figured out.

I suggest not posting too much about Stevens (or any other) Embouchures. You have misunderstood most of what is important.........

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Mark Kindy.....If you would like, please contact me regarding the Lincoln Portrait thread.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida
    [email protected]