Link between water and playing.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'd like to start by saying hello to everyone on TM.

As for my question:
    Can someone explain to me if there is some link between drinking more water and playing better? For me, I don't know if it's physological or something, but when I drink a lot more water, my playing gets all around better. Just take the past 2 days. I decided to drink more water, and now everything seems to have improved in me: tone, intonnation, range, note accuracy and so on.

So is there a pattern between water and playing, or am I just plain crazy? heheh :shock:

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    If I've got a tough playing schedule or a difficult gig then drinking lots of water definitely helps my recovery time....not sure it makes me play better though. The only solution for that has been practice and playing.

Regards,

Trevor

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It could be that normally you're not drinking enough water,
    but with you being fully hydrated your body is functioning at max, so that would mean all of the muscles are working their best as are all of the commands going out from you brain.
    I don't know if that's really true, but it makes sense from what I know...

4. blueicedj

blueicedj New Friend

Jul 13, 2008
    California/Nevada
    I think there may be a link. Most people aren't completely hydrated throughout the day...so being sure to drink a lot of water could help. I know when I drink more water throughout the day it does feel easier to play. I think it keeps your body less fatigued and more energized.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are normally hydrated, more is not better or worse. If you are dehydrated then more is better. In the summer you are sweating more so this may not be the best time to prove anything statistically!

Drinking more means going to the toilet more and that relieves your body of waste material. That is always good.

I have several colleagues that insist drinking more is better, but they are not talking about water.

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I take several diuretics each day because of heart problems, and have found a glass of water by the stand to be very helpful.
    Roy