Link to a review of student trumpets in Canada

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 8, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    MrEquipment Test Lab- Student Trumpets

It was interesting to see who came in second place over all and the margin by which they came in second place compared to what the first place winner won by! If you want to see the pannel of judges then go to this link which is leading up to the test results I posted.

Mr. Equipment - Test Lab

We need to get them to test pro models next since so many companies have pro-lines now. Use the Bach 180-37 as the refrence model. So if interested in something like that let these guys know I am sure they would do it in time.

2. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Good spot. This info will be useful when recommending horns for students, thanks.

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    That's an interesting post. I always new that the Yamaha student horn beat the crap out of my Bach TR300 and most any other student horn I've every come in contact with. The TR300 was a decent horn whose only weakness was a dull tone quality and a slow third slide, never intonation though. But I'd never thought that Bach would have dropped so low with their newer student models that it was beaten out by a "lower-cost Chinese instrument." I guess students had better stick to Yamaha and Jupiter, eh? :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Good showing for Yamaha and Jupiter. I'm a bit surprised that the Blessing performed so poorly...

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Really interesting... Somebody should do something at Bach

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I think Blessings problem is that they pursued the rental market to heavily and it is showing. Inovation and details get left in the dust when your only concern is price point for rental market. This same behavior almost killed Getzen as well. This is why Getzen has had to fight hard to be taken seriously with their promodels. I am sure they could turn themself around if they really wanted to but if youare happy where you are at and people/dealers are buying your product inthe amounts you desire then why do anything is their thinking. We know they have the manufactureing capacity and the valve engine is sound. We also know that their 1950's and earlier products where really good. It makes me wounder what they are doing so wrong to degrade their product that bad. I have heard nothing but bad things from people about the Blessing never playing in tune and haveing a lot intonationissues etc.......So this review did not suprise me too much. In any event all of the instruments would be useable for a student but some really did better thent he rest.

I knew once I saw the model line up that Yamaha was going to come out on top but I never dreamed that Jupiter would come out in second and awfuly close to the first place finisher. When you look at the price difference they are a real deal.They do not hold their value so you can pick up used one in fairly good to like new condition cheap.

I used to recomend Blessing as a decent student horn if that all you could afford over going to a Chineese model because Blessing are always on sale or on the craig list or ebay for cheap. I had no idea how badly they had declined. I almost bought an ML-1 off ebay but Quality Brass outbid me.

I also liked that it was done by a group in Canada. Often Americans are seen as being too biased in reviews like this so haveing some one from another country do it I think made it more credable and less biased espicialy if say Bach or Blessing had come out on top!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I know the guy who runs that site. The panelists who tested the horns are my teachers from college. They know their stuff.
    I remember my teacher bringing in that Mirage horn to my lesson. It was quite a decent horn for the cost...and the case it came in is really nice. My teacher used it as a horn to keep at his in-laws house when he visited them.