Lion King/Pit Orchestra In General;a little help please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hello there!
    Now I would like to start with a disclaimer: this isn't exactly a trumpet specific question, so please spare me my soul. However, it is a musical question and I trust and enjoy this community enough to ask it here.That being said, here goes:

I saw Broadways Lion King: The Musical today, and oh my gosh what a wonderful experience. Me being the trumpet/music freak I am (combined with the fact that we were two rows from the front) took a stroll up to the pit. (For venue details, it was the Milwaukee theater. Quite a large, and deep, pit if I do say so myself. Now I was disappointed in the lack of trumpet presence however I didn't walk away feeling totally crestfallen. **Backstory time (let me assure you it is very relevant and will help you understand my problem much better)** This year, my high school finished putting on an entirely new music/performing arts wing, full with an 850 seat auditorium, state of the art stage, and wonderful pit. The only problem being that it is about 12 ish feet deep (quite the telltale sign that a music expert didn't have much say in the design process of the house, but anywho)... ***END OF BACKSTORY*** So keeping that dilemma in mind, we fast forward back to present day. I walk up to the pit today and what do I have staring me in the face, none other than a conductors podium that is the perfect height, size, and everything for what our school needs. If my conductor was to sit at a stool or even on a conductor block, there is no way she would be seen by the cast, something that you don't want to have happen. So I was overjoyed when I saw that a stand/podium thing like this existed. I searched around a bit on the internet and couldn't yield much of a result which I have determined to be mainly because I don't know the proper term for what I'm searching for. Since I lack the proper terminology I will give it my best effort to describe it. Its about an 6/8 foot tall stand probably 3 feet wide. All black, couldn't get close enough to see the material it was made of. I wanted to get a picture however the theater has a strictly enforced no photography rule. This stand was large enough for the conductor to stand at with a more than adequately sized table/stand for music and misc. other director goodies and also was able to fit a stool off to the side where the conductor could sit during time of non-playing so his head wasn't constantly in the way. I am very interested in finding either who makes them, where I can find them, what the real names of these are, or at least someone who knows what I'm talking about. Anyone with any information that's willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I can't answer your question, but perhaps the people who own/run the Milwaukee theatre can, if you ask them? They might be able to tell you who to ask next, and get you started following the bouncing ball.

Good luck,
    --bumblebee

3. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Wow, thanks for the suggestion! I submitted an email to the music rental and venue detail information/etc branch, let's hope I get a response!

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Jazzy816:

I've been a practicing architect for a long time as well as a recreational trumpet player. I have designed & renovated several theaters, auditoria, etc. Things like what you describe are often custom built by the millwork/casework shop that makes the cabinetry for the building. However, there are also stage equipment companies that make pre-fab items of that type. Here is a link to one manufacturer.

Conductor's Equipment

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not just ask K&M (Könlig& Meyer)? They manufacture most of the conductors' stands in the world.

6. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    See this is where my lack of knowing exactly what to call it comes in. It is something that the conductor stands on, not just a music stand. It's about 4x4 feet and like I had said, about 8 feet tall. This "conductor outpost" if you will, is able to then somewhat spaciously hold a conductor, quite a bulky music stand, and a stool for the conductor to sit on between songs. So to reiterate, the "thing in question" is essentially a glorified marching band podium, just taller, sturdier, and much more geared towards a pit.

I love the idea, and I appreciate your expertise! The site I looked at didn't really have much for things to stand on other than directors blocks for say a concert setting. Thanks again though!

7. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Ah ha! I found something close to what I am looking for to give you all a reference. :D If anyone knows of anything like this made by another company etc, please let me know.
    Here's the link to a general example of what I'm looking for (note, it does not have to be variable in height, just about 6-8 feet tall): Click Here for the Link