Lip Bends?

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by mikeblutman, Jan 2, 2006.

1. mikeblutman

mikeblutman New Friend

Jul 17, 2005
    deleted

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Happy new year, Mike

You've already answered yourself by saying that you're experiencing success by practicing bending exercises. If it works, do it (mantra).

I occasionally ask a student to bend below a note to help define where the core of the note is (or, in this case, isn't). Most snap back to the center after completing the bend. It's all about cultivating a relaxed core, afterall. I also believe that if you follow proper air management principles, your aperture will follow correspondingly.

Best,
    EC

3. maxmatzen

maxmatzen New Friend

Jan 10, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Hello Ed,

I was curious to see if you would give your ideas on "air management principles." Are they along the same lines as the things in Thompsons BB book?

Thanks so much!

-Max

4. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Max,

You've hit it squarely on the head. My teaching of "air management principles" is simply a variation on Caruso and, as you've identified, Jim's glissando buzzing (although I prefer to do it on the horn). One of the pleasures of teaching all those years at Lake Placid was the spirit of learning from one another (and stealing shamelessly) amongst the faculty.

My own teaching has become a Carroll/Thompsonstevenswallacegouldburnslindemannstockhausencassone hybrid of sorts.

In short: balancing glissando/crescendo across ever-widening intervals while ascending to increase air speed (what every good singer does, if you think about it), and glissando/fatter air column while descending.

Best,
    EC