lip buzz question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BILL VAN, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    Hi, I just started lip buzz w/ lips rolled in and after awhile got a good buzz. I would like to know if anyone else went through the no pressure technigue and how to go about it? It seems very strange and I still want to press! I know to put the mp to get a seal but it just seems awkward! Anyone that went through this I would like to hear about how long it took and any advice would be appreciated! I am a comeback player taught the smile and I really still have to put my mind to playing w/ everything forward even after a yr. but making progress slowly. Those bad habits are a b**** to get rid of> Thanks alot For the help! Bill

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bill,
    I don't know who is walking you through this change or if lip roll is even sensible. Smiling is definitely something that I don't recommend.

In any case, plenty of long tones and easy lip slurs, memorized in front of the mirror build good habits faster than anything else that I know of. The rest should be left to one on one help by someone who can see and hear the whole picture, live.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    The non-press method is often missunderstood.
    One has to press enough to make up for the air
    pressure, which tries to press the lips outwards.
    Non-press doesn´t mean ZERO press, it only means
    Non-Extra press against the lips.

Also, when you lip buzz, try to sound like a female duck,
    not a male duck!:D