Lip buzzing the correct way

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 29, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am practicing my lib buzzing, without a mouthpiece, in an effort to improve tone and relax playing. I have noticed that the most relaxed and easy way to get my lips flapping is with my jaw completely closed. The muscles in the are face completely relaxed and the teeth prevent overblowing. I find that as I open my jaw immeadiately either my lips tense and or I overblow and they don't flap. So I use my tongue and diaphram to control the air flow so that the lips continue to flap. I noticed that using the tongue isn't in very good position to play trumpet, so I use the back of my tongue in the familiar tew position. The coordination isn't that easy, between the diaphragm, tongue and jaw, but it seems to improve the tone and attack very much.

Does anyone else use similar lip buzzing techniques? One thing I am wonder is it possible to use the tongue and diaphram to control the frequency of lips flapping and volume without changing the jaw or tensing the lips?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope. Never buzz without the mouthpiece or horn. Tried it for 6 months. Never was able to generate any benefits.

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Lip buzzing, like pedals, is a controversial subject. Some players really like it, find it helpful and do it a lot. Some players have no use for it and consider it detrimental. There are more than one way to buzz. The "correct" way depends on who you talk to. Best bet, consult a teacher you trust

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah, I must admit I was in the previous camp until recently, even though my teacher did prescribe lip buzzing, probably mostly because I didn't really know the right way to do it.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Personally, I find it useful in very small amounts. It was helpful in correcting an embouchure problem (with a teacher!) .... and I've found it useful in gradually constructing a very relaxed embouchure. But, that's done now, so it's not helpful for those things anymore.

Where I like it is in my very short warmup before any trumpet practice. I'll do one or two minutes of loose lip flapping, then a minute of buzzing w/out the MP, to make sure it's a nice tight sound (more like a bee and less like a duck) and then a minute w/ the MP. That way the first note is always a good one.

Other than that one minute, I don't really have any use for buzzing without the mouthpiece.

Turtle