Lip buzzing without mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 26, 2012.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello everyone ,I have seen this question posted a few times But Pro and Con ....is buzzing the mouthpiece 10 or 20 minutes helpful for better tone or whatnot ...or our we wasting our time some players say it is nessary R. MENDEZ I have read used to have his studentsdo this for a month before they would even play on the horn :-?anyone ,thank you Anthony

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Mouthpiece buzzing is one of those controversial subjects that shows up all the time here, in TPIN, TrumpetHerald etc. Some teachers really like it, some (Reinhardt for instance who doesn't mention it). For some it works, for others its a waste of time. Try it for yourself.

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    This.

4. Johnctrumpet

Johnctrumpet New Friend

Feb 17, 2012
    London
    The question you should ask yourself is- what are you trying to achieve by doing it? Better sound - how do you improve sound? Do you want a big sound? Do you need 'fat' vibrations, do you think every note must be centred and your lips must buzz freely? If you work towards improving something specific i.e. better vibrations or centring notes, you will find what works best for you. Don't aimlessly blow hoping you will improve. Work on very specific things to make progress. I hope this helps? Any questions,then please ask.. Visit my Blog at Trumpet Blog I've written an article on mouthpiece buzzing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many players advocate "flapping" (low frequency buzzing) to get blood flowing and a tingly sensation in the chops. I do about 20-30 seconds of this to get started in the morning. It often replaces any warm up at all.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I like to do some lip flapping then mpc buzzing as a way to start my day. Since I don't do warm downs at the end of my day, I find this helps loosen things up and gets the blood flowing. I find that playing things like sclaes on the mpc helps with ear - lip co-ordination.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

IMHO, this is the trumpeter's secret weapon. If I do this twenty times (huge breath, blow it all out in 2 seconds), before practicing, my sound is good right from the start, never stuffy. As soon as I adopted this practice, my embouchure worked better and felt better. Loose lip flapping (sounds like a horse) just makes good horse sense. Not only does it get blood flowing, it helps remove lactic acid from your lips. It's a great deal, especially since it's free.

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I employ it when I cannot play the horn i.e. driving to work, or church. I too have read where some teachers will not let their students touch the horn for a couple of weeks until they learn to horse flap and buzz on the mpc only. Personally, I think it is a good idea as it has worked well for me. Just don't do it around those whom you love!! ROFL If you look at it as a supplement to playing, you'll be okay (like vitamins to eating). I have also assembled a "hose trumpet" as an additional supplement when I want a more realistic feel to my sessions in the truck. :D

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I used to employ terrible pressure above high E and my tone was thin. A mentor challenged me to replicate my on-horn range, playing scales, triads and such with just a mouthpiece and tuner AND do it all while only holding the mouthpiece with my thumb and index finger. It was and continues to be a wonderful method for me to focus on doing things the right way and not just mashing my lips.

I do give credit to mouthpiece buzzing for helping me achieve drastically less mouthpiece pressure and a self-perceived fuller tone in the upper register.

Before someone yells at me about making generalized claims (which I did not do), here's my disclaimer:
    I am a non-attorney spokesman for only me and nobody else. I receive no compensation from the IBMB (International Brotherhood of Mouthpiece Buzzers).

;)

tobylou8 likes this.