Lip Buzzing???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetrelax, Mar 6, 2010.

1. trumpetrelax

trumpetrelax New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    Please give some lip buzzing exercise.

Thank You:D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Take your mouthpiece and buzz your favorite tune. Finished.

You can also buzz useful things like soft longtones. The important thing to remember is that with a mouthpiece only, your lips do NOT have the support from the resonant trumpet system. Play softly to prevent damage or wasting your time and face.

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Here are some sources (or resources) that address the benefits and the "how to"'s of buzzing.

James Thompson's Buzzing Book
    Joe Marcinkiewicz The Buzzzone
    Mario Guarneri's pamphlet that comes with the BERP
    MacNeil and Frink Flexus

or you could just buzzing your favorite tune softly (keeping range, speed and volume at a sensibly conservative level).

I have also purchased a Buzzmaster from Warburton. simulates trumpet resistance more accurately than just using your pinky to cover the end of the shank.

4. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I'm curious why you say to buzz softly - I've been working through the Thompson book and his exercises use long notes that go from p to f and louder. I've found the book has helped develop my sound alot. I was sceptical about buying a BERP at first but now I think its crucial - it makes you develop good habits that transfer over to normal playing because you are using the same posture for buzzing and playing - (as opposed to just holding the mouthpiece).

To Trumpetrelax - I can recommend this book - its a hard work out but done correctly suitable for just about any level. Correctly, means only going as far as you are ready for.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I cant lip buzz without trumpet. Can someone tell me how.

6. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Form your embouchure and buzz. I understand what you mean though. Doing this can actually take some practice, and it's something that more of us should be doing more often.

A good exercise is to buzz on the mouthpiece, say a second line G. PLay and hold it for 4 counts (at 60bpm), and without stopping the airflow, remove the mouthpiece from your lips, and try to maintain the same lip-buzzed pitch of G. Once you get that far, then you can keep blowing, and add/remove mouthpiece multiple times, and go to different notes.

Try it out, this has been known to really help players with many problems, including pressure, range, and tone.

7. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Two comments:
    1) To Scaramanga - regarding buzzing softly - If buzzing is part of a prelude of things that you do prior to playing/practicing, and it is just a means of getting the airstream going and the lips vibrating efficiently, I think soft is the way to go. It is a Warmup not a Weardown. If you're buzzing as some sort of analog to practicing (ie in lieu of practice for that day due to location etc.), then go for it. Buzz every range at every dynamic level. You're right, Thompson (in excercise #2) begins right away with expanding the dynamic range. I guess my concern is that a newbie buzzer will blow so much air that the aperture becomes distorted and the embouchure does not function efficiently.
    2) To Passion - EM has really nailed down a good strategy for you. If you think of your bottom lip like it is a hinge and roll the mouthpiece off of the top lip while buzzing a note (and you'll need to work hard to maintain the same pitch) that might be a good interim step for you. Be careful of too much "free buzzing" as it can sometimes result in the chops feeling kind of stiff. Moderation is the key element. However, the benefits of an efficient embouchure outweigh the potential for stiffness if you temporarily over-do.

Best.
    Tom

8. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I agree if you are new to buzzing build it up slowly but disagree about the warm-up. I used to think like that and warm up by playing pp long notes, then gradually get louder and higher. But I found I was taking longer and longer to warm up. Then one day I thought - why not accustom the lips to blowing for a couple of minutes and then play with resonance. Then I chanced upon the Thompson book which uses this approach - although its important that soft playing is in there as well so that the aperture doesnt get spread as you mention.

9. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Although I know that m'piece buzzing has helped me it doesnt follow that lip buzzing will do the same. Do a search on it - in particular read the posts by Pops. He only advocates using lip buzzing in certain circumstances I believe.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Take your mouthpiece and buzz your favorite tune. Finished.
    --------
    Yep. Also may I suggest buzzing the guitar solo on Stairway To Heaven. You'll like it!