Lip Buzzing???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetrelax, Mar 6, 2010.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i would watch out when buzzing and not buzz loud, i dont even buzz anymore (except if i realy need it). i use a brass spa practice mute now (it gets annoying to here me practicing all the time, atleast thats what my parents say). i find having the back pressure of my trumpet at all times when im playing is an advantage over buzzing, but thats my personal opinion and liking. do what works for you.

2. trumpetrelax

trumpetrelax New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    thank you every reply

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Pops is the man!! I am studying with Laurie Frink right now and all of the pitch bending excercises are to be lip buzzed, mouthpiece buzzed and then done on the instrument. I can't tell you how incredible the results have been.

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Wow, I will probably get myself shot here, but I just watched a Yamaha clinic by Alan Vizzuti, who showed that he does not buzz. Just air coming out of the mpc until he inserts it in the receiver. No, I don't recall on this site where that is. And, further, I don't recall whether he recommended against buzzing. He had some decent chops tips on there that made it all worth watching. I think all he said was that emphasis on it maybe isn't necessary.

5. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I believe you're referring to this video (about 5 minutes in)

YouTube - Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Clinic 2 of 4

6. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Oh my gosh, thanks! It's so practical, but I never thought of it.:-P

7. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    I agree - the Thompson book has improved my tone, endurance, high range and the link between the upper and lower registers. I was quite sceptical before i bought the book - i had never done any buzzing before and reasoned that we dont buzz when we play so why would it help - but it does. I can only assume that Mr Vizzutti doent see any need for it because he has a very efficient embouchure and great sound etc - already. All I can say is buy the book if you need to improve those things listed above. BTW - I dont any lip buzzing unless you count lip flapping - which is like the pedal range of lip buzzing...