lip care and lip sores - what to do!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by katie-did, Dec 15, 2010.

1. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Stay away from caffeine. I got some cold sore medicine and when I read the instructions they said caffeine could contribute to them. Backed off the caffeine and they cleared right up!

2. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    Thanks for all the good advice, incl. sleep, hydration etc ! Aren't you a nice lot !! I found Carmex, and it seems to be wonderful stuff - but better be careful about playing with it if it makes valves stick ( eek! ). In fact that's a problem with cracked lips, playing with goo on your lips.... I'm sure it affects the tone also, particularly with higher notes - there's a fuzzier tone, which I'm hoping is the goo, and not my tone taking a backwards dive.

3. GaryT

GaryT New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    For my lips, lip balm penetrates and moistens inside, but dries out quickly on the outside, which is where the real problem is. It has never really helped me with painful lips or chapped, dry skin. Instead, I give my lips a coast of petroleum jelly, like Vaseline brand. It acts like a nice shield against wind and dry weather if you do it before going out.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    If your lips are cracked and bleeding, Neo-Sporin ointment before bed is a good idea. It prevents infection.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I recently moved to a desert climate. My strategy is to go for things that are like butter that will absorb into my lips and healing and softening. I try to stay away from anything that has camphor, alcohol or homogenizers in it(chapstick is a marketing ploy so my teach tells me), I also try to stay away from anything that has too much wax in it, the wax will prevent the oils in your lips from washing away, but it won't heal the lips.

I use desert blends of taos lip balm. It doesn't have any chemicals that you wouldn't recognize on it except tocopherol which is vitamin E, so it's all good.
    Desert Blends Bath and Body Moisturizing Healing Replenishing

They carry it at my local supermarket and I use it several times during the day, but not just before playing.

I also use it before showering, swimming or washing to prevent oils in my lips from washing away.

6. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Now I know this is an old thread but cold sores are making my trumpet playing life miserable!!!

My fourt one fir the year began today after a weekend of gigs. They have caused a number if set backs in my practices so far this year and as I still have many problems getting to the upper register, I cant really push my lips, instead I have to keep babying them for FEAR that I will have another break out. Now, only 4 days into the busiest two months of the year for a trumpet player in my jurisdiction, another cole sore has arrived.

Is there any preventative treatment yet? Oral medications to take weekly or something? I am getting desperate. These recurrent breaks not only impede my growth but impact my availability and professional image.

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    At the first sign of symptoms get your family doc to presecribe Famvir 500 mg tablets and take one every 12 hours. Keep a supply on hand. The sooner you start taking it the shorter will be your symptoms.
    :DDr. Mike

8. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Thank you Dr Mike. How quickly should results be expected? Can this medication also be taken when a sore is not present (as preventative medicine)? Any preventative medicine you can recommend?

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Darrien,
    Long term use of this is generally not recommended except in case of genital herpes, which is obviously not the case here. Besides the stuff is quite expensive. As I suggested, at the first sign of trouble, even before anything is visible and the only indication of a problem may be a slight tingling or itching in the area take one of the tablets. If taken in good time the drug will usually prevent actual eruption of the lesion. I really don't think there is any useful preventative. Good luck and happy trumpetting.:-)
    Dr. Mike

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    although - I am not a doctor -- if your lips are cracked they can get infected with bacteria, or fungus. In either case, triple antibiotic, and actually a anti-fungal cream may help your lips (anti-fungal is the same as athletes foot cream) -- and yes they will help. Dr's might want to add to that, or not ---- in anycase, it is the moisture on the lips that really causes problems, and covering those treatments up with a chapstick, will help keep the moisture out of the cracked lips --------------I do this mostly at night when I am not playing ----and periodically, if my lips feel a bit chapped, or sore. hope that helps.