lip care and lip sores - what to do!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by katie-did, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    L-lysine works well as a prevention for recurrent lip sore. And a final word of prevention... Don't even THINK of kissing Kingtrumpet with all that bactgeria and fungus that is hanging on his hips. Yuch!!!!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey KT... Does this happen for you when you put your foot in your mouth!
    If so... bet you NEVER have problems with fungus lips!ROFLROFLROFL

3. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Thank you Mike, I will lookinto that.

Gmonady, is lysine something I could just buy at the drug store? Is it to be rubbed on the lips or is it a pill? I've had recurrent coldsores from childhood and it seems the trumpet also helps to induce them (lip stress I guess).

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Darrien, you should be able to get L-Lysine at most pharmacies, and very likely at health food stores. I recommend the 500 mg tablets. An example of a dose often used during an active flares up is 3,000 - 9,000 mg/day in divided doses (two to three tablets three times a day) for a short period of time. To prevent recurrences, many people take 1,000 mg daily. There is really great medical evidence that the 1,000 mg (500 mg twice a day) works very well as a preventive therapy. I have had much luck using this with my patients on a personal note.

My motto: When you can go natural... why not?

As a side: Remember in the movie Jurassic Park they kept the dinosaurs from reproducing by holding back the L-lysine? Take enough L-lysine and it will turn you into one monster trumpet player!!

Extra credit question: In prehistoric times, who did the dinosaur call when they had a heart problem?

Answer: The CardioJurassic surgeon!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    c'mon Doc -- I gave a perfectly acceptable OTC (over the counter) remedy for sore cracked lips --- the least you could do is reaffirm that --- but no, I never stick my foot in my mouth ------ ROFL ROFL ROFL, but I laugh at those who do ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How can you laugh at people that have their foot stuck in your mouth?:dontknow:
    That's just too weird!:-o

7. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    My wife has these problems. L-lisine helps, but not a cure all. Abreva seems to knock them out when you feel them coming in. And if you have a full blown break out potent anti-biotics like valtrex will knock them out in 2 to 3 days.

For the physicians out there
    What is the difference between the prostate and a gardern hose?

There's a vas deferens!!!!!ROFL

Get it? A VAS DEFERENS!!! oh boy I knock myself out.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh my faux paus!! -- I should have written that statement more clearly -- "I laugh when other people stick their foot in their mouth" -- yup, I knew doctors couldn't spell, but that has nothing to do with their reading comprehension. (same way with pharmacists) --- they are in the same "CSA intervention group" - can't spell anonimous -- group ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    I learned early on how to fix sore lips when my wife suggested to soak it in cider. ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just so as long your secretary's nick name isn't Cider!