Lip Care question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garmeth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I agree with what has already been said -- 10-15 minutes of practice at a time. Don't forget to rest as much as you play. If you play 15 minutes and then only rest 3 or 4 minutes, then you will probably not be able to play as long before your lips get too tired.

Also, I have found I am able to play longer in a practice session (total time) when I take my time and do a long, gradual warm up (10 minutes or so) compared to a quick ("can't wait to get started") warm up.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually - I like to refer to GM as Dr., or doctor, or even DoCtOr, or dOcTeR -- so we don't confuse his profession (when he is giving pertinent medical advice) with his trumpet playing vocation. I am thinking in the future of calling GM the "apple man" ---- as an "apple a day will keep the doctor away" --- but then again, I am not sure what to do about trumpetMD -- cause he seems like a real swell guy, even for a doctor!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

I have built up my playing time over the course of a few years. For the OP, when I was a comebacker 3 years ago -- it was like 20 minutes was tough. then it became 30, and after a year --- an hour. then another year I could play 2 hours. (that is with adequate "mini-breaks" for a few minutes in each session. Now, 3 years later - my lips feel supple but firm, and I can tell when they are "building up" or if they are "not up to par" --- and need a slower, calmer, quieter workout ---- YUP, just can't go to the max everday ---- I always like 1 day to recover, and rest those beautiful lips of mine ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, here is a "doc" trivea question: When Christian McBride and Roy Hargove are refering to "the doc"; To whom are they referring?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Breaking a practice session down to 10-15 minutes sounds like good advice, but is it? Can we limit our playing on stage to 10 or 15 minutes? Aren't we supposed to only use a portion of our range and endurance on stage?

My take is that if we are practicing regularly, inside of a month we can practice up to an hour without any problem at all. After 2-3 months of an hour at a shot I'll bet that 90 minutes to 2 hours are possible. My personal recommendation is to practice in the time that you can keep your attention span active. Practicing longer also improves that.

The issue here is surely not the length of the session, rather the dumb things done during that time. Facewaste is a symptom not the disease. The disease is the brain not being turned on before inserting the mouthpiece. Fix the problem and the symptom will go away: Daily routine with breathing exercizes, long tones, slurs and easy tunes. After that repertory and if time allows technical studies. All of these things can be played softly thus raising the time ante available.

OK, here is a "doc" trivea question: When Christian McBride and Roy Hargove are refering to "the doc"; To whom are they referring?

Doc Cheatham of course. You aren't he either. Doc Holliday is probably closer - he was at least a dentist!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A lot of good advice given. When fatigued affects you playing it's time to stop. Otherwise you are learning bad playing habits when you force yourself to keep going. It doesn't make you stronger.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you sure you aren't Doc Brown??, cause Marty McFly saw you Back In(to) The Future - --ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In regards the to the "doc" trivia question, there is still no correct answer... keep trying... Hint: the answer is more obvious than you may think (but no it is definitely NOT me).

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    moved to comply with the doctors prescription of "lip service" on a different thread ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    IN MY EFFORTS TO PREVENT THREAD DRIFT, I HAVE MOVED THE DOC TRIVEA QUESTION TO A SEPARATE THREAD CALLED "DOC TRIVEA"

Please go to that thread to continue this discussion, and keep the remaining thread to the topic of lip care. So I guess you can say this is my way of giving you lip service.