lip cut problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    i hav another question ... everytime i play high notes after a while i get like a cut inside my top lip. it doesnt bleed or anything ... its like a "crack" can tht damage my lip???

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Yes, can eventually lead to the formation of scar tissue, it is a sign of using pressure to get high notes.

Regards, Stuart.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    sounds like a pressure problem... but you may be able to improve the situation by looking at your teeth. Is there a sharp edge or gap causing the lip to be pressed in a bad spot?? If so, try a little pinch of dental wax (from Walgreens) to fill in the trouble spot on your teeth.

It doesn't solve your pressure problem, but may help some.

4. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    thnx guys and umm wat does the wax do to your teeth cause i do have some shap edges and i think thts whats causing the problem

5. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Wax will fill the gap or help cover the sharp spots. The wax is for braces if you ask the pharmacist where the wax for braces is they will know. You will need to experiment a little with the wax and see if it helps. Take a little off and put it on your teeth behind where the cut is developing on your lip. I used to occasionally have this problem during a period where I was playing 11 sets a day. I think you might be over doing it a bit and need to figure out how to keep from having this happen.

If the wax helps then you know you have some teeth related issues. If you have dental insurance you might see the dentist about lightly filing the teeth where they cut the lip. Find a good dentist that is understanding of who you are and what you do. A good dentist will be much more interested in helping you with this and advising you of options.

Good luck and dont hurt yourself,

jon

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Try to reduce your pressure when you play higher by "pulling" the horn away from your face.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The wax will smooth the transition between the teeth so the inside of the chops have a smoother foundation to sit on. It can help reduce pinch gaps.

If it helps then on your next trip to the dentist they can carefully smooth out the rough spots causing you trouble... but be careful you don't leave looking like Bergeron.

Learning to play with less pressure is the best solution.

8. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    thnk u very much im gonna go buy some dental wax

9. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    ok thnx hope the wax helps but i will try it