Lip Cuts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I would suggest that the Monette mouthpieces are of (obviously) high craftsmanship, and not bad pieces. However, it does seem that I have more issues with pressure than I ever have with other mouthpieces. It would seem that Andy is probably right in his diagnosis, as my system is not zero pressure.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'd agree Mark I'm certainly not doubting the quality of Monette products (I think most of the comments on here are having fun) I just don't think they fit every one. I'm playing with am asymetric at the mo and so far so good but then my jaw is a bit forward and I've always had a low set on my lip and I know asymetrics don't fit everyone

3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    I know that this may sound wise ass, but that's not the intent, I am ignorant as to what an asymmetric mouthpiece actually is. I have a Cauffman mp, very light...aluminum perhaps and is shaped with a wide oval rim. I understand that is called asymmetric..., but I often see mouthpieces on ebay that appear to compensate for jaw 'differentials', having a sort of cutout /indent on half the otherwise rounded rim. Cornandy...and/or others Id appreciate the clear view.

A minor BTW... My rockhound (archeologist) granddaughter bought a bottle of Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix for her favorite (only, now) grandfather when he visits her in Edinburgh. Its worth the flight to visit often...especially with little more than an hour drive to take in the Glennturret Distillery. Just to take in the scenery, there's quite a tour offered.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Few trumpet players truly realize how much they jam. It's OK to squeeze some but we MUST keep it under the threshold where it screws us up for the next engagement.

By the way, arm pressure does not directly correlate with high notes. Not specifically. Rather it is used to get VOLUME. We just happen to use it more when our register fades out. During the course of a gig or practice the threshold where we use arm pressure will get lower and lower. This is the reason that "usable range" is not defined by our highest note. Nor even our highest musical note.

It's the musical note left at the end of the third set.

As a receded jaw trumpet player it is likely that your advantage will be the big sound as opposed to endless upper register. That's my strength (as a receded jaw player) anyway. So instead of striving for a squeaked Double C look to get decent volume with very little arm pressure for the E natural above High C. You won't probably get the DHC as Roy Roman demonstrates in this video (which is a MUST WATCH btw):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex32gNpP3GA

The horn rests only on Roy's palm.

Again forget about the Double C as it takes a helluva lot of work for the average receded jaw player to blow one of these decently. And to blow with just the gravitational/frictional force of the horn resting on palm? I've never quite done it. Got a piece of the A a few times but the endless register of the forward jaw player isn't usually a realistic goal.

But being able to get that E with only the contact pressure is a damned good trick. Most your work as a lead player stays at or below this note with the occasional F to G above. For those higher notes? Okay just jam a little using lots of air. Won't kill you so long as this is all you use it for.

Edited: While fooling around looking for more info on Roy Stevens and Roy Roman I came up with this gem:

http://www.roystevens.org/?page_id=12

Most of you receded jaw cats can probably forget about pulling off Roman's Rriple C technique. But it's still a valuable aid.

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi Joey,

The asymetric mouthpiece is one with in effect a filled in bottom to the cup

The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece

It is a brand name so here's a link to the website.

As for the benifits, the claim is they aid, range and endurance. I would take that with a slight pinch of salt (there is mo magic mouthpiece) but it has stabilised my upper register and got me there with less effort. For me the benefit is the sound. My horn is very classical in sound with most mouthpieces, with the asymetric lead MP the sound is more "Ballsy" (hope the mods allow that)

Hope that helps

KT or Local may take up the baton for more info on the brand

Cheers

A

PS MMMM Glenturret (Think Homerically)

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I can't use the thing but that's only me. Got one right here in front of me. The rim edge is too sharp. Maybe for someone who can stand that kind of edge it would work great. Best I could do was put it on my lips upside down (fat side up) and i squeaked the DHC a little easier than normal. Over-all the thing was too hard to "get around on" on a gig in that most important register for a lead player. Like the High C region.

Am gonna post that Stevens System link one more time:

www.roystevens.org | Video An interesting view.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry Ed but I cannot agree with you there I do not find the rim a problem. either inner or outer edge. There is in my opinion therefore no design flaw just a difference in embouchures. I can stand the sharpness because (or so local believes) of the forward set of my jaw.

I do think it a little unfair to call it a design fault I would suggest that the MP is just not for you and that is one of the beauties of the wide choice of MPs we have these days.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With the price of Monette's they should come with a health insurance benefit plan in case someone cuts their lips on them. I mean, the pay for repair if you damage the piece, why not pay for repair if they damage the mouth; hence a complete mouth-piece coverage plan.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    IT'S NOT THE MOUTHPIECE.

It's always the player. There is nothing wrong with the Monette designs. Anyone who has played a Monette mp knows how comfortable they are. Try a different size ...

And, just a small point ... There are no zero pressure systems. No pressure means no sound. There's nothing wrong with a little pressure, you need it to get the buzz. Pressure is your friend. Embrace the pressure. :thumbsup: (Just embrace it a little less)

Turtle