Lip Cuts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow! 38 posts already!. Hears my 2 cents and I haven't read them yet. Unless there is a mechanical issue/defect in the mpc. it's you and too much pressure. There could be a physiological issue with your jaw but I doubt it (unless you have spurs on your teeth/gum). http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bone%20spurs%20on%20teeth&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Findex.healthboards.com%2Fdental%2Fbone-spur-gum%2F1%2F&ei=rWhcUMCYGq3W0gHRh4HgCw&usg=AFQjCNHHKirTf3AKTl2hgi3qFPwMJOptjQ
    Take a few days off to let the cuts heal. :thumbsup:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C"MON MAN! "PROBABLY"? Say it loud,say it proud, " TOO MUCH PRESSURE"!! ROFL

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I was probably being too subtle but that's why I put my "no" in "No" pressure in quotes. I agree we all use some pressure to some degree but there is such a things as excess pressure (that's when you either hurt you teeth, lips, gullet etc

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Rowuk had a really good post about this months back when I got into a heated arguement with another member about pressure. The poster in question said you should use absolutely no pressure while I countered it. It was getting pretty scary but Rowuk jumped in and saved the day. Playing trumpet is a BALANCE of pressure.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's easy to test it out. Playing a long tone, just very slowly, with your hands, move the trumpet away from your mouth. You'll go through less and less and then, no pressure. It's hard to tell exactly where that point is, of no pressure, but before you get there ... you lose your sound. :dontknow:

Actually, it's not true for just buzzing on the mouthpiece without the trumpet. In that case, you can move the mouthpiece away from your face, past the point of no pressure, and maintain your buzz. I do this regularly in practice.

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    This has been attributed to the great William Vacchiano, but no matter who said it, it is absolutely right on the button.
    "No pressure, no tone, no job".
    To those who do not think even the greatest players do not get tired, they do. The fact of the matter is the greatest players are so efficient, they use just enough pressure to keep a tight seal and use the proper air flow for each and every register. They also recover much, much quicker.
    You'll NEVER see a Mahler 5th and 6th on the same program. Way too much horn on the face time for even the greatest symphonic players.
    Rich T.

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've come to a conclusion about Monette mouthpieces: I don't need one until I have a Monette trumpet ... and that will be when I've natural wings and can fly to the moon. I had a Monette mouthpiece and quickly sold it. Still, I do believe I'm not one that has that many troubles with any mouthpiece, I "make do" with many but seem to prefer those with a smooth crown rounded rim.
    Since I limit musical expenses to my pocket budget plus pre-owned resales and the pittance I receive from tutoring for the most part I "make do" with whatever I have, and be thankful that I can still enjoy these. What mouthpieces I haven't yet played, I say nothing about. Still, there is one still out there that evokes my interest and someday may meet my lips.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :bash::bash:
    I just can't do it!!!

I just can't get myself to say it!!!

Your putting me under too much pressure man!!!!:bash:

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Fly Ed to the Moon and let him play with a Monette
    He wants to se what range he'll gain and what a sound he'll get
    In other words pay up knave
    In other word cash for Dave

(With my usual disclaimer no disrespect for Mr Monette, I just love the scan I can get with his name)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I just traded my Asymmetric Lead 342 (SHALLOW ASYMMETRIC) for another, yes another Asymmetric 3C+544 ---- hey, I always wanted a spare mpc. YOU see people, I just don't like the SHALLOW CROWD -- uhmm, I meant the SHALLOW MPCS, be they asymmetric or radial symmetry. I like the deep mpcs, and I like getting the high notes, low notes --- and everything in between on my Asymmetric (the deep one) ------ because ---- FOR ME ---- the notes sound GREAT!!!!! and besides, I love my sound!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL and that means the sound on the Asymmetric, I love that sound so much that I even had a custom made Asymmetric mpc for my trombone ((((now, does it help a trombone??? -- I don't know, but it looks so VERY VERY COOL --- and the trombone pretty much kills me anyhow --- getting the loud good bone sound suck all the wind out of me ----- but as long as the trom is killing me in parades and such, I might as well look VERY VERY COOL doing it!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL