Lip Cyst

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jarvs, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Jarvs

Jarvs New Friend

Apr 10, 2007
    Luverne, MN
    About a year ago, I had a very intense day of playing, I think there was about 6 or 7 hours worth, and I felt okay by the end of the day, but for the next few weeks my endurance and range had greatly declined. My senior recital was coming up so I took a couple of weeks off of playing, as per request of my teacher, and I went to the doctor. It turns out that I have a small cyst right on the edge of where I play on my bottom lip, causing some "leakage." The doctor suggested surgery, but as I started to read up on that, I don't know if I want to risk it or not. Does anyone know of any other treatments or a good doctor in minnesota who might know better? Or would just cutting it out be okay? I was able to do my recital, but I play lead trumpet in jazz, which got increasing tougher.

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well im not pro or anything but taking a couple week of not playing is never good. There are relaxing exceresing like lip slurs(just to start).

As for the cyst if It hasn't gone away after a year it probally will have to be removed by surgery. Any tampering to the position of the mouth will take time to adapt to. If you have to get surgery its better done sooner than later.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I would get the cyst treated. It's been a year, so it's not likely to resolve on it's own. Cysts have a greater risk of infection, which could lead to more serious problems if you don't treat it now.

Ask your primary care physician to recommend a plastic surgeon. FWIW, I probably wouldn't go to a general surgeon, given the sensitive location of the lesion. A dermatologist might also be able to advise you.

Regarding your question about other treatments ... there are 2 ways to treat a cyst. You can drain it with a needle, if it contains a liquid material. However, because this doesn't remove the surrounding membrane, the cyst is likely to reform. So surgical removal is the more definitive treatment.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I had 3 cysts removed from the inside of my lip right where my mouthpiece goes. I got it done last summer by an amazing doctor who specializes in brass players and singers.
    Surgery was painless and it healed in about a month.
    I still don't have feeling in a small part of my lip where I put my mouthpiece, but it doesn't affecty my playing. My sound is better now than it was before. Having to do rehab on my lip made me get back to fundamentals much more thoroughly than I did prior.
    My cysts were swollen and sore to the point where it was either surgery or quit the trumpet. To me, I only had one option. If you do a search I am sure I made a thread about it after I got it done.

The doctor's name is Dr. Simon McGrail. He takes appointments for one week per month in Toronto. He was recommended to me by a few people here, and lucky for me, practices in my city. People fly from around the world to see him.

I do have one cyst left on my lip but it doesn't affect my playing so I am not going to have it removed.

5. Jarvs

Jarvs New Friend

Apr 10, 2007
    Luverne, MN
    Thank you for the info! I'm glad the surgery worked for you, it would sure be nice to finally get rid of this thing.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Since you are in Minnesota, why not see if there is someone at the Mayo Clinic who could treat you effectively?

7. Jarvs

Jarvs New Friend

Apr 10, 2007
    Luverne, MN
    Maybe I'll give that a shot, thanks!

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    There are many different conditions that will form a cyst in the lip region. One thing is certain and that is removal is the only way to cure these lesions. You are wasting your time if you try another approach. The only decision you have is the choice of the proper person to do this. Usually ear nose and throat people handle these lesions around the mouth.

Doctor Mike:D