lip damage?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xelaris, Apr 8, 2009.

1. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    What is this lip damage I read here and there in certain posts/forums?
    Is that to do with pressing the lips against the mouthpiece and do it so forcibly to cut one's lips? Or maybe is the teeth involved as well?
    My lips are fine...just curious.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Lip damage could be pressure related , or muscle damage. Damage caused by using too much pressure is the result of mashing the lip between mouthpiece and teeth, and is easily fixed, muscle damage is much harder to fix if at all.

3. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Most lip damages are probably due to pressure, they get ripped lips- and they hurt.

I don't know about others, but I get a lot of cold sores but have not come to a conclusion on why. Most of them go to the side of my lips so it doesnt affect my playing but once in a while it appears right on my chops!!!

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Some people are allergic to silver, or gold jewelry, you've probably ruled out an allergy, or tried a nylon mouthpiece?

Also, although it never happened to me, if your aperture is too lose and your lips dried out, and you "blow too hard", you'll tear up. Keep 'em moist, don't get loose up high.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I used to get a lot of cold sores also and went to an understanding Dr. He wroe a prescription for Valtrex and I would take a pill when I felt that "tingling" that ment another cold sore. The sore would never appear and after about seven or eight times of stopping a cold sore in its tracks I probably get a cold sore maybe once every other year. See your Dr., he could help.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lip damage,
    who talks about lip damage? I am not aware of anybody turning their lips into hamburger.

Instead of looking for things to worry about, check out the stuff that makes your musical immune system strong: keep the testosterone levels down, practice a lot but softly, get a real daily routine, listen to a lot of music of varying styles. Work on the stuff that you have trouble with. THAT makes a much more enjoyable read and productive post than quoting things achieved by having turned the brain off!