lip / embouchure question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetmasterz, Feb 2, 2012.

1. trumpetmasterz

trumpetmasterz New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    hey guys im new here and have a question . im gonna tell u my story. 8 months ago i used to play off-center of my lips and decided to change to center of my lips . the thing is tht all this 8 months ive been trying to play in the center of lips but i just cant play as long and as well as i used to play when i used to play off center . i kno it was dumb of changing lip placement but i just didnt feel confortable . so just about this week i just decided to play off center of how i used to play a year ago. the firs two days i was doing long tones and excersises and i was almost able to play like i used to but didnt hav enough strenght to play as loud. i practice for 4 hours this two days and also tried to see if i could still reach those high notes and i did (nothing hardcore) and today i began to practice for thr third day and my lip kinda hurts when i try to play high notes but does not hurt to play low to mid staff . is it because i hav a year without playing or because i bruised or something ?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To both questions... yes and maybe yes... if not bruised, than at least strained.

You are using muscle differently (even if you used these muscles a year ago). Muscle loses tone rather quickly, with in days, if you stop using them in a standard format. When you went more center, different muscle fibers were engaged to meet the demand of the new position. It takes slow work outs, initially a half hour or so at the start, then to increase endurance by about 20% each week, until you reach the amount of time you wish to practice.

When you went to 4 hours on new muscle fibers in one day, you strained these fibers, which is why you feel pain. I would rub this part of the lip gently 2 to 4 times a day for a couple minutes, then rub ice over this area for several seconds (until it goes numb BUT without burning), then the next day, go back to practicing with the same old embouchure for 20 minutes ONLY. Do this same routine for a week, then increase the practice time to 30 minutes with the new "old" embouchure. After the first week, you can likely stop the lip rubbing and ice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    Mark_Kindy likes this.
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    +1 Gmonady.

If I played fine off center, I wouldn't try to change it -- just a thought for any possible future endeavors. Hope everything gets better!

4. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    i guess ur right i probalby did strained the muscles... wat u mean by rubbing??? thnx for ur help

5. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    thnk u very much im gonna take his response in consideration

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Common sense dictates that we do not change things in a major way during playing season. There are summer vacations where we can change without missing all of the fun stuff.

From zero to 4 hours and you wonder? Start at 30 minutes a day and add 5 minutes more every day. Get a teacher, get a daily routine, get discipline. Habits are what controls human behaviour. Habits need repetition to build. LOTS of REPETITION.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Why does everyone who play off center switch to the center? The most vibrant spot isn't the center for everyone, right?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A better term is to massage the area, placing the thumb internally in your mouth, behind the area were there is pain, then use your index finger on the same hand to gently massage the tissure in between on the base of the thumb. After this, take your thumb and third finger and spread the tissue from the inside part of the lip, gently to stretch the muscle fibers. The go back to the original massage with the thumb and index finger. Keep repeating for a minute or so. If you feel the pain residing, this is a good sign. I would stop then, and at this point begin the ice massage; but again only until the area numbs, never let the feeling burn. This may only be just under a minute. At this point, stop for the session. This can be done 2-4 times a day for about a week.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Classic case of over training. What do you expect? You took EIGHT MONTHS off of your natural setting and expect it to bounce back like you never quit playing??? Take two full days off the horn and then return in GRADUALLY increasing elements of time/demands.

Playing off center in and of itself is not a problem. Just as brown hair isn't a problem to trumpet playing.

Weak tone, endurance problems and poor usable range (relative to the state of conditioning) are problems.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who is everybody? I don't know of too many that switch to the center. I do know that if the player has a decent daily routine that the embouchure gravitates to a very efficient spot - without conciously moving the horn!