lip / embouchure question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetmasterz, Feb 2, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I changed my embouchure from the side to the center between the jr and sr year in high school ---- I ENDED UP SETTING OUT the senior year. Playing on the side, instead of the center, hurt my tone and flexibility ----- so for LONG TERM PLAYING considerations ---- I switched, and it was dreadfully hard, and took at least a FULL YEAR before I was as good as before I switched. IN MY CASE, I will argue that switching to the center of the lips was(is) the best choice for me, and in the end I am very very glad that I made such a switch. HOWEVER, it does cost in time -- and it is FRUSTRATING --- and in the end you have to decide what your future is with the horn. if you are just a hobby player -- then who cares,,,,,,,if you want range and flexibility, I will suggest going back to the center and sticking with it. ****note****** many people will argue that you are OK, on the side ---------BUT IN THE END IT IS YOUR CHOICE -- make the best choice.

2. trumpetmasterz

trumpetmasterz New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thnk u

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    exactly with SMART practice the embouchure will naturally find it's best nodel point.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    trumpetmasterz, leave your embouchure alone. embouchure changes should only be undertaken with a teaching who has experience SUCCESSFULLY changing embouchures, such as myself. Most teachers don't have the experience to help here.

If you want to improve your playing see a teacher before you make rash changes to the way you play. The vast majority of the time an embouchure change isn't needed. Just proper dvelopment. Players want results without doing the work to lay the foundation for success.

5. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    hey guys i just want to let u guys kno im doing fine now after swithing bak to my old embouchure . yesterday i played a gig for 4 hours and didnt get tired at all !! lol awww i missed tht feeling haha. thnx guys or ut help

6. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    but last question today i woke up with a little pain on upper lip is tht bad ??? IS IT because i put too much pressure?? or because my lips arent tht ready yet to be able to play tht high and for tht long thnx

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Depends. Probably both, IMO. I think you would know if you're using too much pressure... if you're pulling it into your face, it's probably too much. The second seems very likely to me, especially after "switching back". I suspect you just need to get back in the swing of things, don't overdo it. However, I know my fellow TMer's will be able to confirm or deny that possibility.

8. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    ok thnx man i think its just because i recently switched bak because when i play i can barely feel any pressure on my lips but i would appreciate your friend helping too...by the way can it cause damage to my lips of some sort?

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm not a expert on that. I would say you could cause them to lose response, flexibility, control, temporarily, because that has happened to me, as a result of swelling. I doubt there's been any permanent damage.

10. trumpetmasterz

Jan 31, 2012
    ohhh ok man thnx anyways