Lip fatigue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by d_rummer, Jun 16, 2009.

1. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I am only a newbie as a trumpeter. After playing drums most of my life and getting used to a practice routine, practicing the trumpet is a whole new ball game. When I practice I start with a nice rich tone and I am now getting up to high C without to much difficulty. My problem is that after about half and hour all the notes above 3rd space C become a struggle and I get a lot of air going through the horn. I am so keen on practicing at the moment that I am going full bore and wearing myself out.
    Can anyone suggest how often I should rest while practicing or should I be looking more closely at my embouchure. I am using a King 7c mouthpiece and trying to keep my lips in the middle of the cup but I tend to bring my lips further to the top for the high notes.
    cheers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi, d_rummer!

The only thing alarming here is the fact that you
    move your mouthpiece around. You´ll simply have
    to learn how to play ALL notes with your mp in the
    same position. I promise you: this IS possible!
    The high notes that you can produce by MOVING
    your mp are worth NOTHING!

A newbie that can already play high C: what more can you expect?

Maybe half an hour is what you SHOULD play at this moment.
    For how long have you played so far (it takes TIME to build chops!)?

3. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks Sofus,
    I will concentrate I keeping the mp in the same place for all the notes.

cheers.

4. backtotrumpet

backtotrumpet New Friend

May 9, 2009
    Agreed - mouthpice should be fairly still - you generally do not need adjustments to play higher. Pressure should remain fairly constant from your lowest note to the highest - otherwise you will not be able to play in muisc when needed. A good teacher should help guide you in these areas - do you have an instructor?

A couple thoughts:

Do not spend to much time playing above the staff. Focus on your "easy" range for now and keep the high notes (sounds like a,b and high c) for upper range practice at a smaller proportion to the rest of your practice. Maybe even every other day. Remember, low range practice can elp develope your high range.

Take breaks - 20 minutes playing and 20 minute break will allow longer time. Resist the urge to play past point of strain. a break will allow lips to recover. When I came back this helped a ton - my first month I generally never played longer than 30 minutes but would practice 2+ hours a day with 20 min. intervals and breaks.

Keep focus on tone and real notes (the ones you can play in a song, not just squeak out). Your range seems great for your time - focus on endurance and tone building.

Definitely get a teacher. Even if only every other week - you need someone guiding you and keeping you from making bad habits before it is to late.

Sounds like you are doing good! 30 minutes is not bad for a first timer. This seems about right - but it has been a long while for me. Good Luck.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Air only means tired and out of control. It takes a while to get everything in your face synchronized. Don't worry. Very soft long tones and slurs plus a big dose of easy tunes will help you build strength. Push the envelope, just don't beat yourself up. Sometimes taking a sip of tapwater will cool the chops down and lower tension, giving you some fresh energy to continue!

6. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you all.