Lip form

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SophiaPetrillosBuddy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SophiaPetrillosBuddy

SophiaPetrillosBuddy New Friend

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    How should I form my lips while playing? My director says that I roll in my top lip while playing, and that I need to break that habit. She says it's bad for my embouchure. This is how I've always played, I can't help it. She also says that I sometimes have a screechy, scratchy noise to my tone, due to my embouchure. Does it matter how you form your lips, and how do I get rid of that scratchy sound while playing?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Firming the chin down and dropping the jaw often works for getting rid of the scratchy sound. Helps in the long run for the upper register.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You ask a great question. I suppose the short answer is "no". Personally, I like to keep my lips in a natural position.

However, any answers you get here will likely be somewhat subjective. I am assuming that your director is the only one who has actually seen and evaluated your embouchure. So I would tend to think she's correct.

If you're not sure what she means or how to accomplish things, ask her to clarify things for you. If you need a second opinion, maybe a private teacher (if you don't already have one) can help.

Mike

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Combination of the two pieces of advice above... keep lips in neutral position... it is as God had intended. And keep chin firm and drop the jaw to a relaxed position... it will open and darken the sound... and it is how our trumpet god, Vulgano Brother intended. By the way, welcome to TM from a mere mortal.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    PS: On TM... we only roll our lips after reading comments from Kingtrumpet... not only a mere mortal... but an oxymoron... minus the oxy.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Vulgano is exactly right and I couldn't say it better.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Do you mean like the Farkas Chin, VB? Chunk not puckered but spread out flat with all the muscles pulling away from the chin dimple area? I have to be honest and say I never know what this stuff means. "Keep the lips neutral" but if I do that I don't get a vibration. I have to do something with the corners of my mouth or nothing happens. I've been playing with this to try to stay as neutral as possible, but I think you guys are lying when you say you stay totally neutral. ;)

[​IMG]

Is that the kind of thing you mean by neutral?

8. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Misty,

Is that a picture of your embochure. I have always referred to the trumpeters smile to describe the embochure

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lol no, it's from the Farkas embouchure book. It's a classic but I think it has fallen out of favour .

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "puckered smile" that Farkas wrote about works great for horn, but Rolf Quinque's concept of drawing the corners to the eye-teeth for trumpet makes great sense for me. The chin thingy, though, is a constant, despite some of the DHC books.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013