lip gap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yugga, Dec 9, 2015.

1. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    When buzzing or doing scales I've noticed that widening my mouth opening on low notes and narrowing on high helps with tone and accuracy. It's only a mm here or there but makes a difference. Also concentrate on keeping that opening round. Am I teaching myself a bad habit here?

2. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Lower notes require more air whereas higher ones require faster air.

You achieve this by using a number of variables, one being the one you describe.

There are a lot of embouchures; the setup of lips, since everyone is different.

I do the same, by loosening my lips on lower notes, making a bigger gap, and tightening them; bringing them towards my teeth for higher notes.

Just don't let them open too much when you go low nor change the angle that the horn makes with your body drastically. Slurs from low to high can help you a lot with this.

The important thing is that you should be able to play any note using the same setup, without taking your lips off the mouthpiece.

Consider C below the staff and C in the staff. If you have to reset for these two notes, you will not be able to slur them when you need too

From your post I understand you just starting and you do not have a teacher. The norm for trumpet practicing is long tones, slurs, articulation exercises and playing a simple tune. Rest as much as you play and don't press the horn on your lips

Just keep in mind that without hearing you noone can really tell if what you do is wrong.

PS: a mm here or there is a lot in trumpet world

3. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    Hiya. Been playing a couple of years. Had some lessons but mainly self taught. Just stripping things back to basics atm rather than anything too advanced but I am happy with progress. Google Autumn leaves improv 2 and you'll find a video but that's a year old now!

4. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    You don't seem to reset when going higher, which is good. Enjoy and don't think too much about the mechanics.

Would be good to follow a practice method, a book or something. If others like what they hear then you are doing good

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That depends on who you ask. ;-) This issue on a forum is difficult at best and really not possible w/o seeing what you are doing. If you aren't using pressure for the upper register and causing yourself pain, you're probably okay.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This is referred to as the aperture, the same as the f stops in a camera. It is true that lower notes are more open than the high notes, but to say X measurement is impossible as such varies player to player.

7. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    You better stop analyzing and concentrate on sound before all progress is hampered.
    Sound! Sound! Sound!

T/

8. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    For me, as you go from low to high pitch, the lip aperture gets smaller and smaller, which, if given the same amount of air, makes the air move faster, and therefore the pitch goes higher.
    So in my opinion, this is correct for what you're doing.

There are some pros (e.g., Wayne Bergeron) who claim that the opening stays the same, and you just push more air through for higher notes. Maybe so. But I haven't tried that method.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On our path to perfection, we make mistakes, do the right things by accident, have inspirational and frustrating moments. If you are not getting lessons from someone qualified, a lot of what you are doing is a crap shoot. Maybe the moving mouth is OK but what you are doing with your breathing, lips or tonguing is bad. Fine playing is the sum of a lot of disciplines. If you have the ambition to get "good" find someone that plays how you would like to and ask them questions. Take a couple of lessons to see. Internet advice is not based on having seen or heard you play, so the results are not predictable at all.

10. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    What I am missing most is time :-(