lip injury

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dcreech4, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dcreech4

dcreech4 New Friend

Nov 29, 2008
    Hey everyone. yesterday I was playing football and while playing I bit through my lip. There is a complete hole right underneath my bottom lip where I place the mouthpiece. I was wondering what I should do in order to prevent scarring or anything else that might affect my playing.

thanks

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    get thee to a doctor fast and don't play until the lip is healed. let us know what the doctor says.

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Exactly what Bob said. If you think your lip is healed enough to play......wait longer.

Speaking from expierence.....get a mouth gaurd for next time.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Don't play until it is fully healed. Trust us.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I had that happen I kick boxed from about 6 years old up until I started H.S.. I also played Soccer (goal keeper) from the same time period. I lost a tooth in a person's foot in TKD class and I split my lower lip top to bottom right in the middle in a soccer game when I stoped a ball with my face. It hurt a lot and took about two weeks to heal up enough where I could buzz on my mouth piece for 10-15 minutes at a time and about 3 weeks to heal completely! My band teacher was upset to put it midly!!! So what you do is you still go to band you just finger the music while holding the trumpet minus MPC up to your face.

I once had to play a concert with my left hand reaching over to the Valves. I was doing a breaking demonstration the day before and had attempted to break multiple house brick's the red kind with no spacers to boot. Well it did not go so well for me and while I did not break any of the bones in my hand I bruised them and the conective tissue. My hand was about twice it's normal size and blue/black in color and I had a soft splint like thing on my forarm and hand. My band teacher got so mad that time she started throughing music stand at people....... THe only reason I am alive to tell this tale is because I was able to play left handed!!! I am confident that my old band teacher was bi-polar and dangerious as all get out!! She is the only woman I have ever been afraid of in my entire life!

If it is big enough they will put a stitch in it. They will tell you to rinse your mouth with saltwater soulution 3 times a day or more. I recomend that if you are not allergic to it that you pick up some walmart or dollar store brand anti-biotic ointment or babbalm and keep it coated. By keeping it soft and moist witht he antibiotic cream or the bagbalm in the green can it will minimize any scareing.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "They will tell you to rinse your mouth with saltwater soulution 3 times a day or more."

Good advice. The salteater rinse will help. Just remember to stay off of it until it's healed...