Lip Injury

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach2112, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    About two weeks ago i was messing around with my higher range, trying to pass my double a. I could hit a double c, but not the b flat or b natural. so i kept playing up there trying to experiment different things, like tongue arch, and lip rolling ect. But after that day i havent been nearly as good as i was prior to that day. i looked on the underside of my lip (the part that touches my front teeth) and noticed that there is a piece of tissue missing from my top lip. I can play just as high as i usually can, but im missing allllllll of my power, i cant play anything loud. so i took 3 days off just buzzing pedal tones on my mouthpiece, and when i came back, i was a little bit better but still missing alot. So is there any kind of cream of ointment i can apply to that spot of missing tissue underneath my top lip?
    Thank you:play:

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Warm salt water slushes. It will burn but it will heal. It takes about 10-14 days for this type of injury to heal. You do not want to work it out much. Take it easy. It sounds like you got overly excited. If there is any sign of infection redness or swelling see a doctor for an antibiotic.

3. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    Yes i did get overly exited. i was just trying to find something new that would work. it was pretty stupid of me to do that. Thank you though!! How often should i do this? How many times a day?

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Several times a day. Spit out the salt water. An ulcer may form, so watch for infection. Some dentist have a chemical acid treatment they use in cases of ulcers. But at the early phase salt water is a pretty good preventive measure. I probably would lay off trumpet for a while or use sparingly to allow healing. At least you know you can play high. Now heal, then when you go there the next time try to use less pressure of the mp against the lips. I doubt your did any permanent injury, otherwise you would sense numbness, because of sensory nerve damage.

5. bach2112

bach2112 New Friend

Jun 12, 2010
    Alright will do. Thank you again.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That and massage the area about 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes. You are experiencing edema from the trauma. Patkins in spot on with the time line to which you will recover. But just remember, once recovered it will take you another 6 weeks to regain your original strength, so be very careful at ranges in the extreme.

7. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    Get some Gly-Oxide or the CVS brand in the dental isle for inner lip ulcers, its a gel hydrogen peroxide formula and works fantastic for things like that, Its been around since the late 60s.