Lip irritation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 30, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    The upper right side of the inside of my lip is getting irritated by pressing against my teeth when I play. I work constantly to play without much pressure but the problem still occurs. It distracts me from the playing. What am I doing wrong? How can I correct it? Should I get my bottom teeth ground down (just kidding, but I have considered having a thin plastic guard made).

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    An anti-irritant (like cognac or whiskey) after playing works wonders!
    Seriously, your body gets used to "pressure" and "friction" after a while. Just look at the hickey most violin players have on their necks - that is only from resting their heads on a piece of ergonomically formed, smooth wood!
    If you experience discomfort, there are pain relieving products available. I do use cognac AFTER a heavy playing gig, however! It does seem to help - more than just irritation!

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk,
    Am I to assume by your answer that my bottom teeth pressing against the inside lip is to be expected? And that the irritation can't be avoided? If it serves as a reason to consume cognac I'm all for it. My Italian roots and sweet tooth lean toward sambuca or anisette, will that do?

4. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Robin, do you just swish the cognac around the area and spit, or do you swallow it? Will Jack Daniels sour mash do just as well? I'd love to really mean it when I say it's for medicinal purposes only!
    Bob
    Seriously though, vitamin E helps me when my chops get dry and sore. I buy the gel capsules and bite them open and smear it around.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are a million attempts to play with NO pressure. None of them work because we need to get a seal between the flat hard metal mouthpiece and the rounded soft flesh of our lips. That pressure varies when playing or breathing through the mouth and your face muscle action does also cause the inside of the lip to rub against the teeth, causing irritation to some degree. Practice does reduce ones sensitivity to irritation.
    I can appreciate the sweet tooth, sweet on irritated surfaces doesn't work for me though - maybe a good Grappa would be better FIRST.
    No reason to spit the cognac out. There are other irritated parts of my body after playing too.................................
    I am sure that JD would be an acceptable substitute for cognac! Try it and let me know

6. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'll have to let you know as soon as I try it out! I want to be careful not to perpetuate the trumpet player stereotypes too much. We do have a reputation.LOL

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Tom, you said "upper right side of the inside of my lip" and then you said "my bottom teeth pressing against the inside lip". Is it the upper lip or the lower lip that's having the problem?

The reason I ask is that I had a small problem that I managed to catch early. I was starting to get an irritation on the inside of my lower lip. When I analysed what I was doing I found that I was rolling my lower lip over the tips of my lower teeth in an attempt to get higher notes. As soon as I stopped the degree of "roll-in" the problem went away.

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Crow,

Are your teeth straight? I have a slightly twisted lower tooth that punchures my lower lip if I play hard in an ensemble setting. When I am at home I can get my alignment correct but I might put pressure on my upper right incisor to compensate. It boils down to having a point on a tooth that needs to be ground.

Take your mouth piece to the dentist and start some dialog. Take it every six months until you get the problem analyzed between you and the dentist. Then work on the solution. Problem definition is everything. Take your time before you grind.

Rum and decaf coke before bed time.

9. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    For me its Woodford Reserve after every gig. Works wonders

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Tootsall,
    I stand corrected. I meant to say lower lip, and it is more from pressure than rolling in. Although, I must say that I've recently found myself hitting high notes easier with a bit of roll-in. Don't tell me I have to give that up.......