Lip issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    I'm 17 years old and I have been playing since I was 7. My problem is that lately I have noticed that my lip has a permanent embouchure mark and sometimes it even hurts.
    ---------------
    That's a problem. Here's what might be happening. Depending on what register we are in, we tend to tip the horn to help facilitate the process. My guess is that you are pitching the horn up and driving the top portion of the mouthpiece into the teeth. This could be due to more pressing repetiore or longer sessions practicing. Never the less, the situation you have is usually due to excessive pressure. In some situations, there's been an injury to the lip and an abcess develops. If there was/is and open wound to that area, stop playing and let it heal.
    -----
    I thought that I was using too much pressure but I have been working simple exercices in the middle and low register trying to use very little pressure for some days now and the issue continues the same.
    -----
    I'm going with excessive pressure. Let the lip rest for a week and after a week, begin with long SOFT tones and as you do this, slowly pull the horn away from the lips while maintaining (as best you can) a good sound. This will help activate the corners of the lips.
    -----
    I use a Bach 1 1/2 C
    -----
    Do you find this size a problem? If so, after a week's reast, try a medium size mouthpiece, 7C and see how it feels.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The OP is talking about an "embouchure mark". Most of us have an idea that this might be a bruise from excess pressure. And it might be. But are we sure it isn't a pimple, cold sore, or aphthous ulcer? If the OP isn't sure what it is or what's causing it, he might want to have someone look at it.

Mike

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I too have a permanent divot the encircles my upper lip. I call it a badge of courage. It does not hurt, but it may have, I just don't remember. Now that I use the phwooo technique, no pain. I found too, I can hide the divot with my baggy pants.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, I'll show you mine the next time I am in Washington DC, and you can let me know what you think. I have an idea.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark, your scaring me. When you come to the gig at Little E's next Saturday, you too can have a look see and give me your diagnosis. Of course, I won't do anything about it until I get my second opinion from Dr.Mike.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, my baggy pants work out just fine.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I could suggest he post a self picture of this exterior mark ... but in lieu of actual medical diagnoses I'll still lay my wager on left arm pressure producing the mark of mouthpiece impression in the central area of the lips, as yes it can be brutally bruising for some players. As much as we write about the negative effect of left arm pressure, I believe many players do this subconsciously and don't actually realize they are doing so when they do it.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Gary. As long as I don't have to show you mine. :-)

We know that it's new and that it's painful when playing. We don't know much else about it. I was just widening the differential.

Mike

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "When you come to the gig at Little E's next Saturday"
    ----
    If all goes well and no one books me, I'll be there.
    Dr.Mark

10. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Man this is hard... playing the trumpet is like an addiction... haven't played for a day and I'm starting to develop withdrawal symptom... (it's spelled correct? I'm not an english speaker) :D

Have no idea about the mouthpiece... I have played for at least the past 7 years with the Bach, it's what my teacher recommended me... maybe I should try something else?