Lip issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not sure extended time off will help. It is a good practice to alternate hard and light days, and a day off per week is not a bad idea, especially if you are in that six hours per day mode.

A good exercise from John Glasel for reducing pressure:

Play a long tone, and while doing so reduce pressure; it will start to sound "bad." With this same pressure, do whatever it takes with the chops to make it sound "better" (not perfect or normal). In a short time you should notice some muscles being worked (a big ring or circle around the mouth.)

This will allow us to train some muscles that don't normally get worked; after shaping up this way it should require somewhat less pressure to play.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi just,
    You asked:
    "Man this is hard... playing the trumpet is like an addiction"
    --------
    I know. So did Mendez and Hubbard when they had an injured lip and continued to play. Now this is in case the lip is injured of course. If the lip isn't injured, do what VB suggests, it's good advice. As for mouthpiece size and if you are comtemplating a change, I'd suggest going to a music store and trying out the various mouthpieces without knowing the sizes. My hunch? you should prefer the size you're use to but what does it mean if you find something that's way more comfortable and allows you more flexibility?
    The basic mantra (which ticks me off) is that the bigger the mouthpiece, the better a person will sound. That's just cow pies. I actually had a guy say "I've got to get you on a big mouthpiece" He too is an educator and a person I've no respect for.
    We go with what feels best. The mouthpiece that's most comfortable will give you the best results. If you take a look at trumpet players and equipment used site, you'll find that mouthpiece sizes are all over the chart. If large was the way to go, don't you think these legendary people would have known about it? Go with what's comfortable. If it's your current size, cool! if it's not, then you've got some thinking to do.
    Also, what is a band director telling a person what size mouthpiece they need to use? He's a band director, not a trumpet instructor/educator that I would respect. Why? Instead of letting the experienced student experiment to see what feels best against the lips, they insist that bigger is better. Yet another falsehood.
    If memory serves me correctly, Mendez used a 10 1/2C. Darned, if Rafael Mendez would have known about larger mouthpieces, he would have sounded a lot better and his endurance would have increased!!
    Mouthpiece size rant over. Thank you for your patience.
    Dr.Mark

3. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Thank you!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Muscles, Man, gotta love those muscles. And it's more than that big ring around you mouth (orbicularis) but also the toning the muscles you use (diagonal dilators) to control and fine tune (aperture) that circular muscle.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I prefer to think of it in a more positive light: This is fun... playing the trumpet is like being with your mistress.

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi Just!

Here's my 2 cents (and please consider as such): If you need braces, go ahead and get them. Yes, it will hinder your trumpet performance for the duration of treatment but think of the long term benefit. Here's what braces did for me: 1) Better alignment of my front teeth eliminated the cut/sore lip issues with prolonged playing 2) Time spent away from the horn motivated me to listen and learn about music (many recordings of trumpet players, orchestras, great singers and instrumentalists) 3) Improved my long term dental (and cosmetic) well being 4) Gave me pause to reconsider a career in music.....I chose medicine and ironically I spend more time performing/playing my instrument than the vast majority of band/orchestra teachers in our area. Remember that playing the trumpet and making music is an important part of your life, however a good life and the right decisions will get you the most out of your trumpet.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "This is fun... playing the trumpet is like being with your mistress."
    --------------
    I'm sure that music has resulted in many divorces because the significant other thought that "they" were the most important thing in their musical partner's life.
    Dr.Mark

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know... So much for honesty in a relationship. Man, I do hope you can make it next Saturday evening a Little E's. How I would love to engage in splendid conversation with you... splendid indeed.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    I've actually witnessed marriges go under because the females thought that they were the number one thing in the relationship. It just goes to support the idea a person shouldn't get married with the project being to "change" the other person.
    I was fortunate, My fiance' knew that to marry me was a package deal. If I can't bring my drinkin' buddy 'music" then it's a no deal. Pending the weather, I'll try to make it to P-burgh. Cross your fingers for me as I really want to hear you guys play live.
    Dr.Mark

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You won't regret time spent to go hear EBQ!