Lip Killing (and fixing) ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stradivarius, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    Hey Manny,

Sometimes when I play, my lips aren't exactly in the best condition, as happens to all of us at one point. Usually from a long day the day before or something. When the high notes come I have to resort to extreme pressure on these days, which is fine while I do it cause it works and the notes just whiz out (I prefer to do it right, but I can't help my lips not being at their best), but if I do it more than 2 or 3 times then It leaves a pain in my lips and damages them for close to a week. After I play the high notes I always warm down, and warm down good, but sometimes it just isn't enough... For the next week I can't hit anything above an F in the staff or so when I need to be hitting at least D's and E's above the staff for some of the songs we play (Luckily I don't play first, he has to hit double notes). Maybe it's age and my lips still need to get used to it? I am only in 9th grade. Got any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think if you don't change what you're doing you're not going to last very long.

Trumpet playing shouldn't be that difficult. You need help from a qualified instructor.

ML

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think Manny hit the nail on the head (as he always does) and it sounds like you are using the "Flex Armstrong" approach to range. Don't. Stop. Been there, done that, and it's not going to get your very far.

Get an instructor who can give you the right stuff to develop your embouchure the right way, and be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your chops won't be built in a day either.

4. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Wow What kind of music are you guys playing at your high school? Which one? Dang your band must be good.

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I don't like to brag, but our Top Band at my High School is REALLY good in comparison to many others i've heard. We played the entire Nutcracker Suite this year with a FULL STRING SECTION!!!

6. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    Our jazz bands #1 and #2 both play music by gordin goodwins big phat band which is rated to be just about the hardest jazz music there is. We have played with wayne bergeron and other famous people too.

7. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    When I was your age, I also used pressure to hit high notes. This caused me to be a very inconsistant player and caused me some serious damage. I played lead in college but quit out of frustration. After 10 years I returned to playing but had to go through an embouchure change to play right. My range is coming back but I am more consistant. Some days I have a rough time like the last couple of days but they are fewer and farther between (once every 3 or 4 months instead of every week or other week).

My point is in the short term you may have to drop things an octave, but in the long term your range will improve and you will be more consistant. Your still young and believe me you'll remember the fun times more than the day your tired and had to drop a high F down an octave. It sounds like there are days you can play high correctly, when you can, great but don't force it. I have to remind myself of that too at times. I think we all do from time to time. Good luck to you, just remember the fundimentals get a qualified teacher to work with you and you'll be playing a long, long time, if you want to.