Lip Piercing for a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Lamkin, Nov 14, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    now that made me chuckle on a monday morning. :lol:

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    tell him/her he/she is stupid

to begin with

than you can continue with insulting his/her parents for allowng it etc etc

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would advise them to have their head examined to see where the gray matter is leaking from. If the student is serious about trumpet, it should be an easy sell. If it has already been done, I would tell them to stop wearing the jewelry so the muscle can heal and close over. Having played sports and endured numerous lip injuries and 2 plastic surgeries, I can tell you all is not lost if it has been done but the jewelry has got to go. If they are not serious about trumpet, there is nothing you can do except to continue to receive a check from them.

4. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    Thanks Guys for all your comments. They were right on point. I told her that if she wanted to study with me, she HAD to take the ring out of her lip and let her lip heal, or else I wasn’t teaching her. She didn’t and went to my department head instead! But he supports recommendation that she take the ring out. I want her to read all your comments so she can hear it from the trumpet community. She heard it from me, but I'm just her teacher. If she still insists on the ring, then I know what I’m dealing with and the drop slip is next.

Thanks.

5. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    I would make a gentle suggestion that in order to play, she needs to remove the ring & allow her lip to heal. As well as that I would also suggest that since she is in a 'goth' style, she shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing a lip ring from a local accessory store that doesn't require the lip to be pierced. No-one need know the difference?

6. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    As we already know the band director is always right:thumbsup:

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    I wouldn't advise anything. If it gets in the way of their playing then I'd ask if they thought if the piercing is having an detrimental effect.
    If their playing continued to suck. I'd move them down to the lower trumpet section or put them on percussion. All in all, it's their choice.
    I think its fair to question how serious this person really is about trumpet but hey who knows, maybe it can be used as an octave key. All they have to do is pull it.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Ed sez:
    Why did the Goth cross the road? He was stapled to a chicken.
    ----
    I was working on my second Monday of the week but that put a smile on my face.
    Thank you

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    When someone with piercings in their nose breathe, minus the jewelry, do they whistle? Can they play their nose like an ocarina? Just curious, could be a new sound.

10. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    Please don't let her read the comments where she is being called stupid, that will not be motivation for her at all if anything she would rebel more...... and no person, or girl should be called stupid for something like that - she's young.....