Lip Piercing for a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Lamkin, Nov 14, 2010.

1. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    sorry to burst your bubble, but I have had my nose peirced and no, I couldn't make a whistle sound....

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------
    Be careful John,
    Your best of intentions just might blow up in your face.
    She will probably feel that you violated her privacy and since she knows the way to the Dept. head, do you think this is a wise strategy?

While its true you didn't violate her privacy, do you need/want the headache of proving that you didn't?
    Also, no nobody likes dealing with someone elses problems.
    How many times does she need to go to the Dept. head before YOU begin to be seen by your boss as a pain in the ass.
    You won.
    Try to not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Just something to think about.
    If push come to shove (and I'm pretty sure it will if you push it), do you have information (solid literature) that will support the claim that wearing a ring through the lip will detrimentally effect trumpet playing or are you just assuming that it will?
    Just remember, if you can support the claim that it is harmful to the student and your concerns are for the student and not based on your dislike for a particular fashion, then OK.
    If you can't and I were the student, I'd crush you in front of your boss
    and make you look like a fool.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    Trumpetgirl13, the student in question has gotta be at least 19 or 20! But I'm going to printing out only a few of the comments from you guys to share with her.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    You make a good point Markie. Thanks

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    not sure if this will help or anything, but there seem to be a few options for her to concider.
    1. do nothing, leave the hole and ring.
    2. let it heal, and use a replacement ring that covers the spot, but doesn't pierce the skin.
    3. keep the ring in, but when playing, remove it and use some sort of plug to fill the hole to prevent air leaking out... A sort of rubber disc with a 1mm diameter pin pointed upwards through the hole comes to mind. Then the only problem is the muscle, but a muscle can heal itself around a hole and still funtion, if the hole isn't to big and the muscle not too small.

I do wonder what her motivation is to play the trumpet. the Gothic music style is more guitar and percussion, so that might be a better option?

6. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    My old friend please let us know how this plays out. But she should take the advise of such a fine player as yourself

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh I love Irony. As I am reading this post, the banner ad across the top page is for body art jewelry. "Need something for you nose, lip, nipple? Just click here!". ROFLROFL

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Or how about some chopsaver?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good one!

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    tobylou8:
    You just can't resist it can you? You gotta have some! Why not three piercings down the bridge of your nose resembling finger buttons on a trumpet?? ROFLROFL