lip problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VarsityTpt, Mar 3, 2010.

1. VarsityTpt

VarsityTpt New Friend

Oct 11, 2009
    Hello,

I am currently working with my lessons instructor in relaxing and breathing better. I am also starting on working on using air to play high, and not pressure, which will be a HUGE thing for me once we can get that through, because then I'll be able to play with much less pressure (still some as there always has to be a little) and have a much, much better endurance and overall sound.

But my question is about my current state. I apply quite a bit of pressure to my upper lip which I play higher, and I get a nice single cut line across the inside on my upper lip, which becomes a problem for me. I'm only a sophomore in high school, and want to go into performance as a career, as I have a great passion for performing. I'm very worried about "popping my lip" as I hear. What exactly is it when someone "pops their lip?" I'm scared something will happen to me where I'll have to form a new embouchure and everything (although it's possible I may need to form a new embouchure either way).
    So what exactly does it mean to "pop your lip" and how serious are these injuries? And, although not easy to say online, does it sound like I might be heading into this danger?

Thank you very much.

2. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    is your mouthpiece too sharp ?

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    It sounds like you're either pitching your head down, pitching your trumpet up, or a little of both. All of these have the potential to place undue pressure on your upper lip.
    Popping your lip? Something similar happened to Freddie Hubbard when he was playing with Faddis. Be careful. For me, the lower lip is the workhorse and my positioning is 1/3 upper and 2/3 lower.
    Good Luck

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As your breathing gets better, the pressure goes down. That may not eliminate the mark on your upper lip though. That is not only caused by pressure. Some get the hickey when they look at their trumpet in a very "longing" way.

DO NOT SECOND GUESS YOUR TEACHER. OUR ADVICE IS GIVEN WITH NO GUARANTEES WITHOUT EVEN HAVING SEEN OR HEARD YOU PLAY!