Lip Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    I have started playing after a 27 year break. Played a year or two after high school in a Polka Wedding band and then took a break until a few months ago when a teacher friend invited me to start playing in his bar band. Anyway, I am having a ball but am no where near the caliber I was back then. Anyway, the other night we had a gig and I noticed that after a few songs my lips seemed to lose thier ability to vibrate. It was actually after one song (Bitch - Rolling Stones) that I noticed this. I guess the best way to describe it is they felt stiff. I was able to get a sound however, my range and my accuracy were severely hindered. This seemed to get better as the night went on. I will say that my stamina is not there. Due to the constraints of life I do not get to practice as much as I would like/need to. Gigs consist of some background stuff and a few solos. If I had to be featured in a whole song I would probably be shot after that.

Any ideas/thoughts/opinions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jeeper31, you over did it. You are describing symptoms of strain. This is the beginning of damage to lip muscle. The swelling is edema bring in white cells to control damage. If minimal strain has occurred, then this should resolve in several days to a week. If there is muscle tear, it may take a little longer, and then damage may organize into scar tissue. At this point to avoid this, I would recommend massaging the area gently about 10 minutes at a time four times a day to prevent progression of an inflammatory reaction.

In the future, when you start losing control, back off or better yet, stop playing, massage the area, ice it for 30 second bursts, and stop playing until control is once again achieved.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Jeeper31,

Your body is made up mostly of water, and many of us do not drink enough water to stay properly hydrated. The day of a show I will drink water all day
    to hydrate myself. This seems to help me with endurance as my body is properly hydrated, to include the chops. Gmonady is giving you good advice, as you may have
    over played for your current endurance level. Always hydrate yourself the day of a show, and your body will be at it's maximum for the performance.

4. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    All good ideas. The odd thing is it happened only a few songs into the first set. At this point I hadnt even started tomplay up high so I don't think I was straining/pressing too much. I do remember that I was playing notes on or around the staff and feeling like i wasnt loud enough which probably caused me to overblow.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can wear yourself out in the staff by overblowing. I remember a song where we played the last phrase 8va. No problem. Only went up to a high C#! Only problem was we blew so hard in the middle section there was nothing there on that last phrase and applying pressure only made it worse! It's a sick feeling when you're blowing your guts out and NO sound comes out! Once you rest and the blood starts flowing again, you can do okay. You need a practice routine to develop your stamina and lip strength. Start with small amounts of time, even if it's only 5 minutes, scales, long tones, lip slurs, etc. . Welcome back! :-)

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Also, maybe loose lip flapping to warm up before playing will help. And, as others have said, water.

The loose lip flapping makes you sound like a horse, and looks crazy as all get out, so don't do it in public. Since I've been doing this, before every practice (sometimes several times a day), my lips feel great. I'm not really pushing anything that hard, though, and always stop playing when they begin to give out.

I think the loose flapping helps get rid of lactic acid.

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can't improve on this logic either. As for me personally, my entire head is made of 60% water! So I have to drink up a heck of a lot more water to fill my head capacity before my body takes it in!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not odd at all. Remember, muscle is muscle. Sprinters if not using toned muscle will complain of the same event if they begin a run on unprepared muscle in their calves, shin, ankle... Again repeat after me: "Muscle is muscle".

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or in Jimmy's case, like a snapping Turtle!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, as does message. Rub, flap, Rub, flap, drink, rub, flap, drink, rub, drink, flap, drink, drink, drink, drink... Barkeep, can I have another!