Lip Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Played again today. Still not good.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    off for 27 years...
    practice once or twice a week...
    only been "back" 2-3 months....

I can't believe you are having problems!

I am also in the midst of a comeback, after 19 years off.
    I practiced at home for the first two months, building up to about 2 hours a day (across many short sessions)
    Then I played 4 nights a weeks (+ the daily practice) in a few summer community bands.
    Since September that is down to two nights a week.

I am just now completing 6 months back.

I have not taken a single day off.

I recently returned to my former college and played in an Alumni Jazz Orchestra in front of a bunch of folks that knew me back in the day. I don't think anyone could tell I had been off since 1992.

I think you jumped into playing too much too fast and you need to back up and build a solid foundation. Think like a marathon runner. You need to get some miles in you legs before running hard.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When my lips are stiff I play lots of long low tones... lips slurs ...pedal tones... maybe low slow chomatic runs so my fingers stay loose. Best case is just a strained muscle ...which tightens it up. If you try to play anything in th upper register for the first week yo will probably just tighten it up more.
    This is really hard over the internet. Which you could find an instructor.
    Boy another gig in 12 days huh... oh boy.

4. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Been back about 6 months and honestly there are weeks i only play if we rehearse. I did play a little before are started playing out. Only had about 5 gigs since i started so i am really not playing that much.

What's the worst case?

Thinking about taking lessons. I wouldn't know how to find an instructor in my area though. last time i took lessons my mom found him. lol

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A guy gets off a bus in New York city. He sees a dude playing sax on the corner and figures since he's a musician, he can help. He asks, " How do you get to Carnegie Hall"? . The sax player responds, "Practice,practice,practice"! Unless you have damaged your lips and there is pain when you play, you just have to play. Play what you can play and do it well. If you only play at rehearsal, you will never get better. The real problem with your lip is that it isn't getting used enough! ;-)

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The trumpet - like most other instruments - is not very forgiving. It is absolutely imperative the instrument is to be practiced EVERY DAY. Your problem was not necessarily with your chops. As is the usual case, they have taken the brunt of your inability to put the proper air flow into your horn and you beat the hell out of them with extreme pressure. Learning proper air flow is the key to what we do. Everything else (with proper practice and approach) falls into place after you understand air flow. If you are not going to practice - and practice properly - you are on the road to ruin with your chops and the band you are playing in.
    This is going to sound very cruel, but it is the truth.
    If you don't want to practice to achieve what you need to be on that stage, don't go up there and let someone who can do the job take it. Playing the trumpet can be a part-time joy, but part-time practice on it will NEVER be acceptable.
    To add a bit to Bob Grier's posting, there are enough (adult) hack players on all instruments. Don't be one of them. Practice!!!
    Rich T.

7. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Ok. Points well taken. I am making an effort to play more in the hopes that my lips start working again. Somebody had mentioned using a different mouthpiece to cut through the other instruments playing on the same frequency as the trumpet. Any suggestions on what is a good mouthpiece and size to use? Right now I am using a Bach 7C. Thanks again.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Where are the lips on turtles, anyway? I seen turtles, plenty of them. No lips that I noticed.:D:dontknow:

9. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    I have been practicing however,l this keeps happening. I was doing better after the intial incident however, last gig was cancelled and I didn't feel well so I didn't playh for about 2 weeks (except for one rehearsal). Went to play tonight and my tone is horrible. As i approach notes off the staff my sounds gets weak and is sometimes not there, just air. Not accurace has also suffered. Since the ban I am in loves the horn section and how it sets us apart from local bands, they are choosing more horn heavy songs (Vehicle - Ides of March, Make Me Smile - Chicago). I need my lips back and fast.

I have to and want to practice but it's hard to play like this. Should I rest or just continue to play in the range that is comfortable for me now?

I picked up the P.E.T.E and have been using it when I haven 't been playing. Is this doing more damage?

What exercise s do you recommend to increase blood flow. I know ice is good but i am thinking it will make them vibrate even less. lol. Silly thought I know.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  10. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Might just be time to get a teacher and let him/her assist you in sorting it out. Without hearing and watching you play, everyone here is just guessing!