lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    hi im new here and i really have some questions.i had been playing since i was like 12 and i used to play to the side off the center and i already had developed a good embochure for about like 5 years of practicing. i really began to hav problems time to time and decided to change my embochure to the center. now i hav just about 1 year with my new embochure but i get tired really quickly and my lips get swollen. im a mariachi musician and i can bearly last 2 hours. sometimes im forced to play about 5-8 hours while i cant play anymore. is it because i have only 1 year since i changed my embochure or is it a lip problem. help!!!!!!!!!! my dad just thinks tht is part of the process of making endurance ... he can play nonstop for like 15 hours and never ever gets tired!

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It takes years to develop a strong embouchure with lots of endurance, when you started to use a more of the center of your mouth, you used new muscles that you hadn't before. It would be almost like starting over all again. Patience and practice are the key to success, as always

3. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Change lip placement or embouchure? There is a difference.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

May I have your attention please. OK everybody listening? Or rather watching? Here is the question that ought to have been asked FIRST:

WHAT MOUTHPIECE ARE YOU USING???

Mariachi music is a heavy playing burden. In most cases you do NOT want to use an overly large, sharp edged mouthpiece. A description of an "OVERLY LARGE, SHARP MOUTHPIECE" is usually anything made by the Vincent Bach corporation.

So tell me which mouthpiece you are using and I will try and answer your post better.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    That too is a good point. Rim shape and overall size is a big factor as well

6. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    im using a parduba double cup size 5

7. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea i know i guess ur right i hope its not an injury or something thts not letting me last as long

8. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    i use to play off center and a 1 year ago i change the mouthpiece placement to the center so its like i started agai . in 2 weeks i was almost playing the same as the old mouth placement but i get tired quickly

9. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are creatures of habit. Once we have learned to do something, our bodies try to return to that state. In your case, you made a decision that can't be evaluated over the internet. The problem could be that your sound changed and your brain expects something else, it can be the position of your teeth, it can be the position of your tongue in the mouth, it can be breathing, body use, pressure or one of many other things.

I suspect that internet advice will not be able to zero in on your specific problem. A qualified change of embouchure usually will start producing results after a couple of months. After a year, IF you are praticing enough AND the embouchure is complementary to you and your body, most of your capability should be back.

Before you dig an even deeper hole, I would suggest getting some lessons from a teacher that understands embouchure. In what city do you live? Maybe we would have some suggestions.