lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    WELL I THINK it might be my breathing too because sometimes i get brain freeze lol but yea thnx for ur help tho

2. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    i

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Of much interest is the rim contour. We know that Parduba has a shallow first cup. I for one however do not recollect the inner rim "bite". I have a basic understanding that the thing is fairly flat on top.

A flat rim with a significant bite can produce a huge drop off in endurance although this concept isn't well known within the trumpet community.

From my own research i have found that with a very round, medium wide rim and well rounded bite one may play perhaps 300% longer without incurring serious fatigue. The kind of mouthpieces that produce these results are sadly extinct but you can order the antiques. the name is "Al Cass" mouthpieces and are available through forum member Steve Cass. They're not cheap but very valuable tools that hold their resale value well. One can also have them duplicated perfectly by Warburton.

We found that when Al Cass was in his heyday circa 1968 - 1980 or so that the trumpet players who used his pieces could last 300% longer than their peers. An even more amazing statistic is that the use of these "equalizers" could completely cover up what were or are considered serious embouchure faults and/or habits. This would mean that the average cat would play better than his more disciplined peer. At least within the commercial and jazz idiom.

This would include (especially) your Mariachi music.

failing to find any Al CAss pieces available or affordable? you might consider Curry. however be sure to contact someone there who is at least familiar with the old Al Cass design. To learn from them which pieces most closely resemble the Al Cass rim.

I just checked the Curry site but they don't seem to mention any details of their rim contour. So write or call them here:

http://www.currympc.com/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Why would anyone ever begin playing to the side anyways?

5. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    It just happens, without guidance young players do whatever it takes to produce a tone and every now and again a player develops an extreme method that happens to"work"for them.

Often times the method does sound good but fails in later years when more demanding music is introduced.

I generally don't mess with my students mouthpiece placement if it's off to the side. I'm more worried about going up and down.

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I wouldn't call playing to the side an "extreme method". My estimate is that on percentage the amount of trumpet players who blow dead center on the chops is low. Almost everyone I know plays at least a little bit left or right. Some go very much to the side.

Each trumpet player who sincerely tries the instrument is searching for the most supple and responsive area of his chops to start the blow. Whether he knows it or not.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Out of my own playing: crooked teeth, no music stand as a beginner

8. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012

thnx so much i gonna definitely check this out :D

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    sounds like he's not interested in Rowuk's advice of finding a chop doc.

10. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    one more thing i forgo to add this 1 one year i have been playing in my new lip position ,every saturday and sometimes sundays ive been beating up my lips of too much playing hope tht helps in giving me more advice thnx