lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I also changed my embouchure from the side - to the center when I was 17 --- it was a difficult process, but had so many benefits in tone and control in the end. I sat out my senior year in high School, because the "chops" were not up to playing very long in the few months of summer break ---- total recovery time for me was about a year -- then it was working on endurance, and range after that ---- Internet may not be the best place for advice --- but in my opinion (having changed from the side to the center) was at least a year and a half process!!!!!!!!!! but - hey that was me!!!!!!!! (ps -- I kept the same mpc throughout the process -- Bach 3C)

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    even within the public school system and some decent teachers -- for me with a big front tooth that was crooked -- the only way for me to get a decent sound in 5th grade (10 yrs old) was off to the side -- A COMPROMISE OF SORTS --- that both the teacher and I assured each other we would deal with in the following years ----------hey the teacher moves on, and I kept the position on the lips that was working at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    This is a big problem, imo. I recall a Rowuk quote from somewhere: "There's nothing that doesn't improve dramatically when we baby our chops". If you're out playing 4+ hour mariachi gigs two days in a row every weekend... Jeez. Well, it probably takes you until Tuesday to recover, and then your chops are stiff and swollen on Wednesday, and then maybe you get two good days of practice in on Thurs/Fri and repeat the process. Am I right?

You're using new muscles and using the old muscles in new ways. You need to give the body time to rest and rebuild. You don't see bodybuilders working out their biceps every day - they work arms one day, legs the next, chest the next, and then go back and do arms again a few days later when those muscles are fully rested. If you beat the hell out of your chops every day they never get a chance to fully recover and it takes longer to build strength.

Once you've been playing as long as your Dad has and your chops are stronger, you can beat them up all you like (well, it won't be beating them up at that point!) and you won't need days off. For right now, though, IMO, you need to be very careful not to overdo it because that just slows down your progress.

Your Dad's band sounds great :play:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea ur very right when i only work on sat i usually start practicing on monday but if i cant play at all on monday i just wait another day and just practive wed and thurs and rest friday. i dont feel any pain at all during playing or after is just tht my lip gets numb and rubbery and i cant play longer. and thnx my dad has over 20 years playing and he works every day and never gets tired!!! haha........ is it possible to damage my lips when i play tht much when im not really used too it????.. THNX FOR UR HELP

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I believe your father is correct --- you're going to get tired, because you are building endurance of muscles that have not yet been used. It's also not unlikely that, had you hypothetically not shifted mouthpiece placement, you would've also found that your endurance was not sufficient for such a heavy load of playing. Take time to build endurance; don't try to keep playing past your limit, you'll hurt yourself or develop bad habits.

6. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea i guess time will give me more strenght and hope ill be able to play more this year thnx

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He's not really interested in help at all. I have trouble believing the weekend gig thing either. If we play really hard on the weekends, after a while (considerably less time than a year) we see some progression - even if we don't practice at all. We notice that every Monday is bad news and DUUUH, do something about it. Pretty easy stuff Not much in the way of analytical powers necessary. Looking at the face value of what is posted here:

Change embouchure myself (we really don't know if or how the old embouchure worked)
    Waste my face weekly
    Be surrounded by other musicians (of which some should know better) - no message gets through
    Come to TM and blog bits

Based on the blog, there is only one solution - only let him play for an hour or two on the weekends, get a reasonable DAILY routine to build body, chops and BRAIN. Monitor activity until they are mature enough to play responsibly. I think the major problem here is a willingness to receive instead of transmit. If it were my student, and any of this were true I would stop them from gigging at all until a decent foundation was built.

Now a new mouthpiece is in the equation too. My prediction: everything gets even worse......................

8. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    sorry i hadnt response to u but trust me those gigs on the weekends are very hard for me and i dont think tho gigs would help me at all because i over use my lip every weekend :/

9. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm no teacher but, have you tried playing your gigs with your old embouchere to see if it was better/easier? just a thought.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you know so much, why are things not working?

You just proved my point. You are not willing to listen. THAT is your biggest problem. You can fix it or leave it. There is no patch for stupid playing habits. Remember that we are creatures of habit. Every brainlessly played note just strengthens brainlessness.

I have nothing for kids that don't want to listen. You aren't even listening to yourself.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012