lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mariachiplayer123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    yea sometimes i had to because my centered part of the lips was plain dead tired and i would use my old embochure... it would take like 5 min so i was able to play like i use to play with my old embochure but since i had a year without playing there i would get tired too and later the next day i couldnt play with my old embochure because i would get lots of pain when i tryed to play so yea

2. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    u just dont kno wat im talking about because the rest tht are actually helping do kno wat im going through period

3. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    ok sorry rowuk but im just fustrated. im going to tell you exactly whats happening.. when i began to play trumpet when i was 12 , i was getting lessons from my dad and 4 years later my dad began to notice tht my lip placement was off center and he didnt like it. 4 years of practice i was able to play a good 5 hours on a saturday and i would get tired after.then one day air began to come out through the corners and i was having difficulty playing. i also was tired of how my lips looked when i would play and on monday after tht gig i started doing long tones etc on the center of my lips like it should. 2 weeks later i was able to play well but i would get tired quickly after all those hours of playing. i didnt give up and kept my new embochure there. now i have 1 year since ive changed lip placement and i get tired almost as soon as i start playing. most of the time i could play for really good for about 3 hours and then i feel like my lip gets numb and then i cant play in the upper register i could play low register tho. then after the gigs next day my lips feel swollen and when i practice i cant play and feel like i have to force it to play. i recently started to get aches in my cheeks but i have 2 weeks or more since it stop aching . also during the gives the inside of my top lips gets cut by my teeth or something . so my question is could i be hurting my lips ? is it normal tht my lips feel like tht ?? is it normal tht i get tired quickly ?? and again sorry for ofending u im just having a rough time

4. mariachiplayer123

mariachiplayer123 Banned

Jan 1, 2012
    would it better if i upload some videos of me playing ??? ill tell u guys in the vid whether i can play like any regular day or if im playing with"force" depending on how my lips feel

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would make you about 17. Isn't there child labor laws against making you play this long? AND your Dad, 15 hours and never gets tired! Nonstop! Sounds like your dad needs another son to divide the work load!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's been one year. When are you going to realize this is not working? AND Hello... beating yourself on the weekend? And you still wonder why you cannot maintain endurance? Listen to Rowuk. You need guidance by someone that can truly help you, but you first must read what you are writing, and see what you are saying.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr. Onady's Rule #1: Do not take lessons from your dad (mother, brother, sister).

You need an unbiased and objective assessment. You have been programed. Read your posts. I believe you motivation is misdirected, and you will not improve if you continue on this path. Period (as you would say).

8. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    To me it sounds like probably your embouchure has been fine all along, and you are just abusing your chops way too much before they are ready.

You should never EVER play to the point that your lips get numb, and if you do overdo it like that take at least 1 day completely off. When your lips are swollen and it "feels like you have to force them to play", just take the day off if you can - your lips are trying to build themselves back up again but they won't be able to if you keep beating them up.

Ideally, you should stop playing just slightly before you get tired. The way I gauge it is, as soon as I'm unable to squeak out close to my highest notes, it's time to take a break from practicing.

As for doing the gigs, you just aren't ready yet. See if you can take a month off from doing them. Take 3-4 days completely off the horn, and then spend the rest of the month being super careful to not overdo it. I bet that will help a lot.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I favor a Parduba 4.5 HJ mpc for trumpet, with that rim I believe all can eliminate the culprit of being a sharp rim such being quite the contrary. I must concur that it is just a matter of different facial / lip muscle development. The only solution I know of is the 3Ps: Patience, Perseverence, and Practice.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK,

one last shot:

Your chops last 2 hours and then you die. STOP then. Leave the stage. 3 additional hours doesn't work anyway (actually, this claim is what makes me think that there is a great deal of imagination in this thread - dead does not mean an additional 3 hours of anything except frustration - especially if we have chop issues).

Cut lips and you ask if that is bad? You get tired almost as soon as you start playing? Air comes out of the corners? Do you have to pass out before you start paying attention? I can't believe that you are playing with a band where more than 50% of your playing time sounds like crap? Is no one listening?

Read my posts again. You need help, probably with much more than the trumpet. I do not mean this to sound as insulting as it does. How can anyone be so out of tune with music, body, life?