Lip problem....?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hello.

This is the second time I'm writing this, the first one got blew away thanks to my internet..

Anywho, I have been braces free for about 6 months after having them for two years.

I have adjusted to having them off, and I am improving daily, beyond where I was before I got braces on. The one residual thing from the braces however, is an irritation of the inside of predominantly my upper lip. If I play on Monday, then usually a day or so after (around Tuesday) the inside of my lip becomes irritated, and there are tiny patches of white, dead skin. This happened on a much greater scale while I had the braces on. It was not due to pressure (I made sure of that), just simply the lips rubbing on a tiny metal surface, smaller than that of teeth. To this day it continues to happen, although much less intense than with braces on. I would imagine it still happens due to having the braces on for 2 years and only having them off for 6 months.

I experimented and took 2 weeks off. I came back, played, and the next day, the same thing happened. This is not a sore or an ulcer. It does not hurt. The only time it hurts, is if I pull the dead skin off and cause bleeding, but I try to stay away from that aw much as possible.

This never happened before I got braces on.

I would like peoples thoughts on this, as well as if you think this is something that will ever go away.

Thanks!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Two return questions for you:

1) Are your braces fully out, or do you still have studs in your front teeth (to rest further braces on, that's sometimes done when the dentist is not too sure whether the braces should already come out or not)
    2) Does it occur with any mouthpiece size you try, or is the phenomenon occurring with one mpc only?#

And some general advice: Get yourself a teacher that knows something about these things (preferably a trumpet-playing dentist or orthodontist. TMers might be able to suggest someone). It might just be that your embouchure has moved around and needs to be fixed into place.

3. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Braces are fully off, have been for 6 months. This happens regardless of mouthpiece size.

4. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I had braces for a while. I think I know what you're talking about and I remember it going away with time.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need a doctors opinion AFTER they have looked in your mouth. Do not self diagnose this, do not wait. Dead pieces of skin are not good and 6 months is enough time for healthy tissue to regenerate.

Doctor NOT Internet!