lip problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by equivariant, Sep 5, 2009.

1. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I have been playing for a little under a year. Recently I have a been getting a lot of mouth ulcers, especially on the inside of my lower lip. My oral hygiene routine is fairly good and I don't have any other health issues that could cause this as far as I know. Could this be caused by my trumpet playing? I practise 1-2 hours per day and I have tried to avoid excessive mouthpiece pressure. Has anyone else experienced problems like this as a result of trumpet playing?

2. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Although I don't have that problem, my teacher does and she says it is a problem with being a professional trumpet player and can cause problems. See a doctor!

3. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    Aside from good oral hygiene, be sure you keep your horn clean. Since you're having such severe problems right now, I would suggest a thorough cleaning weekly - at least the leadpipe section. I've known many players over the years that wash their mouthpiece before and after every time they play. That may be a good habit for you to get into. Blind Bruce is right however, you should see a doctor regardless.

Hope you feel better soon!

Roland

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    First step would be to disinfect your mouthpiece each time before playing. There are alcohol based sprays that are suitable for this (wait until the alcohol has evaporated).
    I have also known players that have switched to gold plated mouthpieces or mouthpiece rims with good results.

Our TMer Trent Austin ended up going to stainless steel to deal with an allergic reaction even to gold.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  6. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Couldn't he just go to CVS, buy some Isopropyl alcohol and put that in a spray bottle all for less than a 2 bucks and volumetrically larger?

7. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I get snags on my lower lip from the sharp edge of one of my teeth, occasionally, that seem to turn into ulcers (or similar) - a dentist has offered to file the tooth for me, but for the time being it's not causing me too many problems. Might we worth you having a word with a dentist.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    This problem is usually brought on by a change in diet, or something lacking in it, sometimes its just puberty, with your body going through changes like acne,etc., ask your doctor ,dentist or pharmacist what you can do, or take, to alleviate the systems.

9. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009

I hope its not puberty as I would have far more serious problems then, given that I turned 38 last May :-)

Anyway, I have been using the mouthpiece spray recommended above and so far it seems to be working. Thanks for the advice everyone.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's good to hear. However consider the below Manny's post that was written in an answer of a question I posted some time ago (I used to received cracks and bruises on the inner part of my lips after 2-3 or more days off the trumpet).