Lip problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Look in the backbore of your mpc.. If you don't clean it frequently, "stuff" will grow in there.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sterilization unlikely affects the occurrence of pimples. The organisms growing in pimples are staph or anaerobic bacteria. The organisms growing on brass parts are atypical mycobacterium and fungus; not the "stuff" that pimples are made of (assuming the OP HAS a pimple). The idea of sterilizing brass is sound if there is a chronic cough associated with using the instrument, which in this case, a soak in 91% isopropyl alcohol on a monthly basis has been clinically proven and is reported in the British Medical Journal to keep these organisms at bay.

3. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    If it is a classic pimple, opening after soaking w/ hot water and soap is probably OK. If they are water bumps, don't. My doctor gave me a cream after I set off a major herpes outbreak. Consult a doctor if it is spreading.
    As for shaving, I haven't shaved my lip for 35+ years.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Sound medical advice I once heard by a gifted surgeon on bedside rounds: Puss and Piss must out! If it's not Puss or Piss... NO OUT! My text in dermatology gives very specific detail as to opening up a comedone (pimple) and warm soap and water is NOT in that procedure, so I would advise against this.

Another saying at bedside by same said surgeon was: Sleep when you can sleep, eat when you can eat, and don't f*** around with the pancreas.

5. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    "Zits" are not a matter of cleanliness so washing will neither prevent of help them once they are there. Have your family doc prescibe Clindoxyl cream and use it once or twice a day and that will help prevent them.
    Dr. Mike

6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Good to know.

From wikipedia:

I'm not going to wait until I develop a chronic cough to sterilize!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't eat chocolate ( my grandmother always said this).:-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Where's your grandmother live... I'm headin' by her house and scarfing up all her chocolate! I AM such a humanitarian.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am with you on that one... Totally with you. I have a bottle sitting under the sink waiting for my next cleaning!

10. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I don't have an idea for preventing pimples, but just playing on one (on the lip) can create real problems. As a college freshman (about a million years ago), I had one on my top lip just when school had started. Between auditions and weekend gigs, I just played on it. Consequently, it never healed, instead it just constantly broke open. A professor recommended Campho Phenique, which FINALLY took care of the problem. But to this day, I have a small scar where it was (that luckily does not affect my playing).
    I guess my point is, it can become a chronic problem if you don't give it a chance to clear up and heal.

Brad361