lip reaction to plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hi everyone, I have been wondering about sore lips after playing on a newly gold plated mouthpiece. I had the piece done at Andersons and they did a great job with it, but after a few days on it my lips got sore and seem to have a burning sensation. The mouthpiece was originaly gold plated back in 68 but needed to be redone. I have never had this before playing on gold. Any Ideas? Perhaps the chemicals used? I am hoping it just needs to wear in a bit.

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I'm sure that you gave it a good wash before using?

3. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Yes, I rinsed it off when I got it back and wiped it down.

4. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Figured I'd start with the obvious.....:lol:

There are several great medical minds on this forum who will soon have some insight on this I'm sure

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My first thought was the same as Bob's -- did you wash the mouthpiece before using it. (Which you did.)

It sounds like you've played on gold plated mouthpieces before. But this re-plated piece is causing a problem.

Are all gold plating methods the same? Are there different alloys that could be used? Maybe Ivan or someone with similar experience can help out.

On the other hand, could you just be over-playing? I can image a person getting their favorite mouthpiece back, and maybe spending too much time playing.

Mike

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There are different processes involved dependent on the original mouthpiece - eg nickel plating may need to be removed, or sometimes a copper underplating is required etc etc. It's unlikely any definitive conclusions can be reached without asking the shop what processes they actually used.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My question is: Since you got this mouthpiece back, have you been playing on it more than your normal routine. When I got my original silver mouthpiece first plated by GoldChops, I played on it and played on it because it felt so good. Actually felt better the next day personally, but perhaps you over did it, and it has nothing to do with the mouthpiece itself.

When I have had to extract earrings from women due to a hypersensitivity reaction, it has usually been nickle plated, or poorly plated silver. I cannot ever taking care of a patient with a reaction to gold. Perhaps it's just me, but I am less reluctant to fault the plating rather than some other factor that may be involved.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    24K gold plate is best. I am told anything less than 18K may cause issues with sensitivity. If a reputable plater was used (such as Andersons) then you should not expect any problems.

They usually silver plate the unit first, then gold plate over the silver, or that is at least my understanding.

9. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    I haven't been playing any more than usual on it. The plating is 24k and the plating solution used does have the cyanide in it, but I was assurred by Andersons that the solution is well rinced off before shipping. The cyanide solution makes for a stronger thicker plating than you can get otherwise I was told. I guess I am just paranoid about the use of cyanide!:-o