Lip rolling under as I play higher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by silverstar, Oct 13, 2005.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Mr. Laureano,

My trumpet teacher noticed at my last lesson that my bottom lip tends to roll under the top lip the higher I play....this has never been a problem for me up until now. I don't know why it started happening (unless it's a side effect of marching band.... :x ) and I would like to correct it as soon as I can.

Do you have any ideas about what to do? Any thoughts about why, out of the 8 years I've been playing, it should start happening now?

Thanks!

Lara

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Lara, Lara, Lara...

Do you remember a post I made to you many moons ago about using the syllable TOOH wheen you played. It was because I suspected,and rightly so, that you were curling your corners upward. You told me you realized you had been doing that, remember?

Do the exercises I gave to the other gentleman that's been having the same problem and you'll build the strength you need to stabilize the buccinator muscles at the sides of your mouth. Over time, the problem will be replaced by the stability you need to keep the bottom lip from tucking away.

ML

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Well Lara, you're not alone in this predicament. Manny pointed the same out to me in a lesson almost as just a passing thought:

"You must be rolling your bottom lip in..." That was it. He added nothing more and yet it spoke volumes to me about why I have troubles in the upper register. Truly a perceptive individual!

Anyway -- "Tooh" really does go a long way towards correcting it. Not completely, but it sure makes a huge difference. I've always felt I still needed a little something more to permanently remove the old bad habit (because it still creeps in waaaay too frequently).

Which brings me to your post, ML. You said to do what you told the other gentleman to do. Please forgive my ignorance, since my attendance on this forum has been limited since starting a new job, but I've searched and I assume you are referring to the following:

...to which you later suggested adding page 44 as well. Is this the correct excercise?

And if it is -- is breathing nasally critical to the exercise? Because I have never...NEVER been able to breathe through my nose. I'm just too chronically congested up there. (Even the doc, two days after I was given a strong steroid to help clear up the congestion, noted that he still could see a great deal of congestion....sigh....).

well...good post Lara -- I'm quite sure there are more than a few of us who suffer from trying to swallow their bottom lip up high. The question is, how many realize they're doing it?

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    hey, Richard,

No, the nasal breath is not critical to the success but it helps keep the achieved position more stable. If you have sinus problems then all you have to do is remember the point of the exercise: stability. Remember, I'm not a big nasal breath guy to begin with, anyway. It's just a little trick to help make the point about stabilty.

Nice to see you around when you're able,

ML

5. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks Mr. Laureano! With marching band taking over everything, I did kinda forget that. :oops:

Actually, I think being home sick this past week, and unable to play my trumpet since Monday (*tears*) was a blessing in disguise. It gave my chops a week to rest and repair themselves, and I just tried to practice a bit (about 10 minutes...and then I stopped because I'm still not feeling too great.) and it sounds a lot better than it did a week ago. I was able to focus on how my chops should feel and my breath support more than, "OH man, my chops are dead....I hope I'll be able to get through this practice session!".

So, with your reminder, and that excersize...I should be good to go for All-State tryouts next Saturday!

Lara

6. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi Manny,

WOW!!! This has been the single most useful piece of info I've ever read. I've always rolled my lip in as I go higher but never really thought about it. Anyway, when I read your post about "tooh" instead of "teeh" I started to actively think about this when playing ad incorporated it into my practice. It's been over a week now and I've been experiencing great results. My sound is generally a lot better and up above High C there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the amount of effort required. It's really been a great help, thanks!!!!!
    BTW, I found a copy of the Monette mouthpiece manual they were giving away in 2000 in my loft the other night and right in the middle of the book is a picture of your good self. Nice to put a face to the name, and also nice to see a fellow martial artist. Do you still practice??
    Cheers
    Youri

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sadly, no. However, coincidentally, I just started a program at a local gym just yesterday because I desperately need to get back in shape and fix my legs. You know what that means: s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g, lunges, squats, curls, and quadricep work... ai-yi-yi... I can hardly wait.

ML

8. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    I know what you mean, that's the only part of my martial arts training I don't enjoy!!!