Lip Scar?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Oct 11, 2005.

1. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    Would scarring the lip from like a cut affect the player's performance in any way?

a Burn? A deep cut? A little cut? A skin split from chapped cracked lips?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Would hurting your arm affect throwing a baseball in any way?

Braking it? Dislocating a shoulder? Pulling a muscle? A bruise?

Okay, you get my drift, right?

Everything heals over time, some things heal better than others, some people are more sensitive than others. There are too many possibilities and too many variations to the human psyche to answer your question with more than a general "yes".

ML

3. TrumpetsAreFun

TrumpetsAreFun Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    California
    What about a deep gash that leaves a permanent scar... or something little as split skin due to chapped dry lips?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, so, you didn't get my drift.

A scar will bother some people and others won't be the least bit bothered by it. A little cracked lip will send some folks into fits of hysteria and others will barely notice it.

Anything on your lip that is disruptive to sound product via effective vibration of the lips will cause a determined player to shift the mouthpiece over and play in a different place. Many players have done this. I do it as a sound/ear exercise for my own amusement. Herseth used to also.

Someone else want to try to explain?

ML

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    :lol: Manny. Love your sence of humor!

Ok let me try. First of all you havent really defined what type of lip injury you have or what the severity is.

This happened to me this summer. On a gig someone accidently bumped into the bell of my horn and the mouthpiece smashed into my lip, and my lip began to bleed and swell. Sounds worse than it was...anyway after applying an icepac and not playing for about 4 days, my lip healed just fine. Another 2 days of serious etudes and I was ready for my next gig.

There was no permanent damage, even though I thought there was going to be when the injury occured. Lucky for me when I got hurt it was in the last 30 minutes of my Saturday night gig so I didnt lose any income. Needless to say I keep my distance from others when playing now :D

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

6. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    i think i understand. last year after marching camp i had my bottom lip split clean down the middle(from lips being dried and chapped). now i have a small scar on my bottom lip because i didnt take the time to let it heal. luckily for me it doesnt really bother my playing anymore. but when it was split i had no range, and a 6th grader tone. it set me back pretty good. it took me a long time to get over it. my advice go easy with it until it is healed. if not it will split right back open.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hey Manny...

I'd love to know what the "sound/ear" exercise is that you mentioned. If only for MY own amusement!

Jason.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Lip injuries

Two classic examples of severe embeshure damage that I am not only aware of, but, have had shown to me by the recipient are the two major accidents suffered by Raphael Mendez. The first was when someone slammed a door open into his horn while he was playing. This took him out of professional trumpeting for a couple of years. The second was when a baseball player in Mexico threw his bat which then hit Raphael in the mouth. Another very long hiatus from trumpeting. Louis Armstrong had a severe compression problem that he foolishly attempted to repair with a razor blade and subsequent compression problems caused by extremely poor embeshure, requiring multiple remedial surgeries. Both of these great artists came back from their injuries to perform at the very highest levels of artistry in their chosen musical genre.

OLDLOU>>

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Hey I dropped 225 lbs on my face once and broke out a buncha teeth and busted lips. It surely does mess your playing up, for a while. Took about a year to get back in shape to play.
    -J

10. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I have a small scar where my top lip was completely severed from front to back. It took about 3 years for me to get a decent sound after that accident. I still have not found a comfortable place to set the mouthpiece after 14 years. There is some nerve damage but not enough for me to hang up the horn. The thin line of scar tissue keeps me from creating a smaller air stream because of its location. I'll never be a screamer but I thank God I can still atleast play the trumpet.

Jarrett,

You want to sell me your Eclipse?