Lip size after playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Easytrumpet, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    Why is it that my lips are 2x normal size after playing and feel weird???

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Lips vibrate to make the trumpet sound. It increases blood supply to them. They eventually swell a little. You shouldn't be experiencing them swelling twice their size however. Be sure you are not using too much mouthpiece pressure.

As you practice, facial muscles become stronger, and you become more proficient, swelling will about disappear. At this point you are probably better off doing a number of short practice sessions instead of one long one. Play a little. Rest. Play a little. Rest. Apply a little ice after practicing can help too.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My first thought on this, in light of what you've posted in a couple of other threads, is that you are likely using too much pressure for your higher notes, and possibly in general - some people get to the point where the embouchure actually needs the pressure in order to form a seal and focus, which is unfortunately counter-productive because when that is the case, everything suffers. Range, endurance, flexibilities and quality of sound all depend on a focused chops set that doesn't require much pressure (particularly in the low range - higher range usually requires a bit more to maintain compression, but it has to be balanced) in order to sound.

If that's not the case with you, my other thought, without seeing or hearing you play, is that you aren't taking enough breaks during your practice regimen.

4. Easytrumpet

Easytrumpet New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    US S.C.
    Maybe..

5. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    my wife loves kissing my puffy lips after I play ... just don't kiss too much before you play or you'll be useless on trumpet.

some lip puff is normal. I love ending a session with long, low tones ... soft to loud to soft in one breath = gets the blood flowing again to aid in recovery and once I feel the tingle that comes with low tone lip vibration, I know I will play great the next day.